KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Any uk dealer will be able to provide these parts.
For a seemingly inflated price. I've been renewing mine starter and the bushes are twice the price they used to be and the Bendix is 80 odd quid. I'm sure it used to be 50 or so. Twats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just ned to know im ordering the right bits .......Freeride Bendix 16/28 item no 55140026400
Crown wheel item no 55140022300

Its £142 without shipping so want to get the right suff

Cheers Phil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Genuinely don’t waste your cash on trying to repair/maintain your electric start just kick start the bike you will end up wasting a small fortune & six month time you will be back to square one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
To fecking late , €50 on a starter motoer €250 on a Freeride bendix and gear , we'll see !!!! i do like the differance of a 2T but will not get ride of my 520 450 and 400 4T,s BUT if it doesn't cure it i'll be going down the Sherco or Beta road , like you say Dusty kick it and it kicks a piece of piss but i payed for a fecking button :mad:

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you haven't already, buy a ytz7s battery. I asked the question a few weeks ago, did as advised, my 2011 bike, with the original starter motor and bendix etc will now start from cold on the button. Did the wet mod, extra earth, replaced the bushes ages ago. Still wasn't very good, so haven't used it for ages. It would only come to life after a week of riding every day in Spain last summer, so Id had my suspicions about the battery since then. Got another week in spain coming up, so well see how it gets on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you haven't already, buy a ytz7s battery. I asked the question a few weeks ago, did as advised, my 2011 bike, with the original starter motor and bendix etc will now start from cold on the button. Did the wet mod, extra earth, replaced the bushes ages ago. Still wasn't very good, so haven't used it for ages. It would only come to life after a week of riding every day in Spain last summer, so Id had my suspicions about the battery since then. Got another week in spain coming up, so well see how it gets on.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Where did you fit the extra battery?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You don't fit an extra battery you just replace the existing one with the 7ah jobbie, this would have fixed the issue without buying all that other stuff in my opinion. I did mention doing some tests which could have helped diagnose the problem in earlier posts....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Still wating for bits but the 7A battrey is on the list , heading back to the UK for a week tomoz so no work on the bike for a bit, but need to get more of this done

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
OK here's the up date
;
;
;
;
Been back in UK so only got sorted today , the new (Freeride) Bendix and gear arrived along with the bushings and thrust washer .

Pulled the casing to find the old bendix sized soild in the on position !!!! and no bushing in at the inside end !!! this had been done by a garage , got the papers !!!! fuckwits

Anyhow luckily the casing wasnt damaged so fitted a bushing , nice and tight fit , took the others out with the drill bit method , not as easy as the vid shows but got em out.

Came to fitting the new bendix and thrust washer that was also missing from the garage job ........i'll go down and burn it down one night !!! fucking idiots , anyway good old greasing up and casing back on ...................couldn't find a weep hole to fill anywhere so it may have been already done !!!

Fitted new 410 starter then eased the new gear into place , cover on and all went well

New battery charged to over 14v , fitted tested and button ready !!!!

Fuel on choke out button pressed............................;fuck me same old same old

The starter was red hot , now ive read somewhere that the copies can sometimes run backwards so being proper pissed of and no fucking idea how to test it i thought try the old starter

HALLELUJAH ..........................IT LIVES :love:

Needed to figure out starting process ..........................full twist of throtle on off then 2 jabs on button and shes away

Still need to learn to ride it though :unsure:

Just goes to show not all garages know what they are doing , buyers luck i suppose with second/third hand bikes

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Instead of the full twist of throttle before starting you could say a chant. From a technical point of view both have the same effect. :)

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Copy starters are generally shit. Tried one, binned it off and got genuine.

Weep hole is at 6 oclock on mating edge of cover. If its blocked already, then there should be a breather mod - pipe coming out through wiring grommet. If no breather it will condensate like feck.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The gearwheel should be shimed so the free play is correct. You get many different thicknesses from ktm. They are cheap. Should be ok as is if it's working now. Better a bit loose than tight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Cheers guys ,now you've said it shipdamite i did see an odd bit on the gasket , i'll look into it properly . When you say shimed i take it you mean the thrust washer on the outside of the gear RBJ , i did get one and fitted it so fingers crossed things will be fine ? off tomorrow to near Terrasson ........ i'll find out if it still works !!!!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Just in case you're not aware - that starter system was never designed to start the bike from cold. Always always start using the kicker until it's warm and you will preserve the starter mechanism for much longer. Also, a starter than won't start from cold will often start instantly when warm. Mine always has... until now (160 hours) but I've not really looked into it yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Cheers Al, took it out yesterday full hard riding steep hills and valleys with tech stuff and after first 20 mins she fired up first spin ......lovely as i needed it a time or 6 😁

21 - 38 of 38 Posts