KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all,
Chopping in my 09 XC 200 soon and on the look out for one of the above.
I want to buy a do it all bike and have supermoto wheels already.
It's going to get used for hooning round town, hare and hounds, ,and maybe...just maybe another attempt at Poole to morocco (didn't go quite to plan on the first attempt)
Bearing all this in mind I've ridden the 450 but has anyone ridden the 350 or 400 and could compare the 2 as I'm quite interested in the 400.
Saying that everyone raving about the 350.
It's got to be the EXC for the long gear box might have a look at a XC-W though.
Any feed back is more than appreciated.
Steve

·
Registered
555 Posts
i have ridden them all and raced 400 and 450..my advice would be 450 if you are going hooning on road..the 350 is a great race bike but not really an on road a lot machine you will be caning it ..the 400 is nice and easy to ride and would do the job but if you are heavier and if you are doing a fair bit of road or faster lanes/open stuff the 450 will be under less stress and is easier to ride in those situations..i have had a lot of relative success on 450,s in hare and hounds you just have to know how to ride them..it's not like riding a smaller bore bike, they need setting up early and riding a gear sometimes two up and using momentum and the bikes torque..trying to rev it will wear you out and likely spit you off...you can do most laps in 3rd changing up when it opens out rolling the throttle and using the engine as well as brakes to slow..when you get the hang of riding them you'll love it its effortless and you very rarely spin/loose traction either as you ride at lower revs(off road of course)..i love em and would definately buy one in your situation..hope that helps

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Well to do all of the things in your list ie Morocco et al I would go for the 450 but the old RFS engined one as the newer bike are all pure race bikes and don't last like the older bikes. Maybe the 690 might be better suited to laning and long trips. You can do the 'big bike challenge' at rallies too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts