KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I want to say a big Hi to the forum.
I've been reading topics from time to time but not registered.

I have recently started doing my motor bike license having never ridden a mb before and have thoroughly fallen in love with it.

I'm 30 and have been driving for 13 years so lessons and road riding going well. However once I have passed my test I want to buy a bike to go green laning with.

1st question. Would a 300, 400 exc be to much for a newbie?
2nd question. Does 2t refer to 2 stroke and 4t four stroke?

Hope you guys can help. I'm sure that very many more boring newbie type questions will follow.

Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
1st question. Would a 300, 400 exc be to much for a newbie? - NO, PROBABLY NOT, BOTH SEEM POPULAR WITH LANERS AS THEY HAVE GOT PLENTY OF POWER AND TORQUE BUT DONT RIP YOUR ARMS OFF. SAYING THAT I HAVE NEVER RIDDEN A 400.
2nd question. Does 2t refer to 2 stroke and 4t four stroke? - YES

Enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome response by 2 peeps at the same time. Lol
This is gonna be a good web site I think.

Would something like this be good as a new rider and new green laner.
170537448565 Ebay

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Ha ha, yeah I speak from a beginners view the 300 is fine till the power band then it's scary. I got a 450 now but I started on a 300 and could not keep up with it. That said if you're careful to get used to it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I will say though, in my eyes the 300 is the 2T's answer to the 525...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Awesome response by 2 peeps at the same time. Lol
This is gonna be a good web site I think.

Would something like this be good as a new rider and new green laner.
170537448565 Ebay
Looks good but depends what price you wanna pay. The 400 is smooth as silk a very good machine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I meant is that 400 2 stroke? Does a 400 2 stroke exist?
Lots to try and learn. Where should I look for topics on crash helmets and clothing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Had both, 2006 300, and an 2001 400 EXC. I sold the 400 about 5 years ago, and probably ridden every dirtbike since then...and ive just bought my old 400 back. Best alround bike out there, rode it Saturday alll day, and so pleased that ive got it back..Very controlable bike, loads of traction and plenty of ommph when required. 300 will bite your ass, good bike, but need some serious dirt miles under your belt to ride one well, and they are crap on fuel. My mate has an 09 300, and was sticking in about £3 more fuel than i was on my 400 every time we topped up...

And if Jasext mentions that his old 300 was good on juice, thats because he rides like my Gran would.....lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I havent been on a KTM 2t but love the thought of the 300. Every where I read it says they are like a 4t with their tractor type power and then the throttle gets opened and it all gets a bit of a blur. After having a ride on a mates KDX 220 I new 2t wasnt for me , climbing a hill seemed to be bing bing bing gears gears, I guess Im lazy!! and then coming down a sharp hill just plain scared me. I guess part of it is not being used to it and one 20 min go doesnt qualify for experiance. I also know his 2t on the roads ( between lanes) some longish distances felt terrible, in self distruction terms, although I hear a 300 does this well also.
400 EXC seems to me to be one of the best of trail bikes there is, its what I wanted but there wasnt many about local enough to me so I decided on 450

·
Registered
210 Posts
450 still a nice smooth bike, same bore as the 400 but a longer stroke i think. which doesnt make it as agile in the woods....enjoy your new bike...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts