KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2010 EXC 450 and before it was delivered the KTM guys added some stuff like a fan kit, radiator guards and so on. With the bike came a second chain (with O-rings) and sprockets (13T/52T) . I first installed the 13T sprocket and left the original 45T at the rear, then tested my mates 450 (09) with 14/52 and decided that is what I want.
I installed the new chain and the two sprockets (14 and 52) but could not get the wheel far enuff in. :confused: I turned the tensioner plates (or how do you call those in English?) 180° so that the shorter side touched the tensioner screws and then it was fine. After adjusting the chain tension I realized that the rear tire slightly touches the rubber protector which is installed (I guess) to protect the swingarm. It's really only very slightly so nothing to worry about, but I asked myself if it would not have meade sense when KTM had supplied a slightly longer chain.

When back home I checked some photos of my mates 09 EXC and I could see that his tensioners are in standard position and the tensioner screws are at least a 1/4 inch turned out. After all tech data on the bikes are the same the only reason I see is that KTM did supply longer chains on the 09 models... True?

Second question: I moved the gear lever one tooth up so that I can easier shift with the fat MX-boots. When the lever is moved up the clearence between the lever and the chain is less than 1/16 inch. They dont have contact but I think about grease and mud.... Is that okay?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
As you say the claerance might be a bit tight with the addition of mud! I have never really had any problems changing gear but it took a little bi of time to get used to it... Guess if it really bugs you, you could have a look at some aftermarket gear levers? suspect you will get used to it!

Chances are your mates chain has stretched a little, maybe a bit longer chain, was the chain brand new out of the packet or could the shop have set it up and previously removed a link on your behalf (setting it up as 13/52?). How much for a spare chain in Austria? maybe worth the money to get it right and stop it annoying you?! If its any help, I don't use O'ring chains as I find I can get a non o'ring clean easily and they are normally cheaper!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
my 2011 400exc's chain on 13 x 52 and metz 140 was touching the mud-flap
complained to the dealer and ktm sent me another chain ie 118 links-which is spot on

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you say the claerance might be a bit tight with the addition of mud! I have never really had any problems changing gear but it took a little bi of time to get used to it... Guess if it really bugs you, you could have a look at some aftermarket gear levers? suspect you will get used to it!
No it does not bother me that much I just wondered if this may cause a problem. If you say you never had any problems I will just try it and see what happens.

Chances are your mates chain has stretched a little, maybe a bit longer chain, was the chain brand new out of the packet or could the shop have set it up and previously removed a link on your behalf (setting it up as 13/52?). How much for a spare chain in Austria? maybe worth the money to get it right and stop it annoying you?! If its any help, I don't use O'ring chains as I find I can get a non o'ring clean easily and they are normally cheaper!
Yes, maybe his is streched already he did ride a lot under difficult conditions, will check that on saturday (if it does not rain again).
The chain came originally packed with both sprockets, its a DID chain with x-rings. Funny that the installed chain had no o-rings. I asked the guys and they said the additional chain is for the 13/52 and for off-road use. I expected the chain with o-rings to be for road use and the other one for off-road use, but obviously its the other way round.
Yep, I am sure that the one without rings is much easier to clean, no doubt.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my post. Most appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

ps. no idea baout the prices but will check....

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
complained to the dealer and ktm sent me another chain ie 118 links-which is spot on
OK, thank you, will check tonight how many links mine has. So you had to turn the tensioner plates 180° too ? Stupid question, it must have been so.... Yep I too have the Metz as standard tire...

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

checked the chain links and found out that the basterds at KTM gave me the wrong chain with 114 links. I took a short ride round the block and the mud flap was already damaged. I will try to get the right one tomorrow, if they cant give me one I'll buy one as I want to ride on saturday .... :(

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Drop the gear lever back down and change gear with the edge of the sole of the boot, or the side of the toe, you dont need to get your foot right under it. Thats how I ended up anyway.. With the lever high the chain will contact when you go fast and you have to lift your foot too far to downshift. BTDT

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks John, thats what me mates also said. Got to get other boots cause my Sidi Crossfire has no sole I could use for shifting... well it has a sole *lol* but it is flush with the upper side...

Concerning the chain I was at my garage and the fella there was extremely relaxed, grabbed a brand new OEM KTM chain 520 (118 links) with x-rings and gave it to me with a "sorry mate, something has gone wrong we apologize!" He did not even ask me about the wrong chain, but will bring it back tomarrow :smokin:

Put the new chain on which was easy, except that closing the open link was a bit fiddly as I couldnt push on the little plate (dunno how you call that darn thing) so easy. However, now everything is fine....

good night
steve

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definitely not what I expected, think it has to do with the fact that I bought my last 10 motorbikes there. However, am really pleased :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts