KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice appreciated:

Just fitting the EXC 520 sprockets for mainly road use - what's a good practical mix? - Aiming for a top speed of say 70mph.

14 x 48 ?
13 x 40 ?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Forget what standard sprocket sizes are? Be suprised if it will not do 70 mph on standard gearing, geared up I would think you would get over 100 if you wanted but I would be carefull running such a small rear sprocket as a 40 you could have problems with the chain rubbing the top of the bottom chain guide or even the lugs that hold it, someone posted recently with that problem on a modern ktm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Forget what standard sprocket sizes are? Be suprised if it will not do 70 mph on standard gearing, geared up I would think you would get over 100 if you wanted but I would be carefull running such a small rear sprocket as a 40 you could have problems with the chain rubbing the top of the bottom chain guide or even the lugs that hold it, someone posted recently with that problem on a modern ktm.
Whilst we're on all things wheels, what kind of spoke tension should I be looking for? - I built and trued the wheels just fine, including the offset, but before I get them shod wanted to set the tension?...

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Don't know about spoke tension I have never built a wheel only tightened spokes, Suppose you are looking for the same kind of ring from each spoke when tapped with the spoke key? just be sure to check them after a few miles then again after each ride etc.
Remember seeing a guy on a brand new bike at the first check on a rally maybe 10 miles and his back wheel was almost falling apart because the spokes had come loose, he got it all tightened up again and carried on ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know about spoke tension I have never built a wheel only tightened spokes, Suppose you are looking for the same kind of ring from each spoke when tapped with the spoke key? just be sure to check them after a few miles then again after each ride etc.
Remember seeing a guy on a brand new bike at the first check on a rally maybe 10 miles and his back wheel was almost falling apart because the spokes had come loose, he got it all tightened up again and carried on ok.
Cheers :)

They all ring true, I'll check them as I get the bike out on it's first run.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Advice appreciated:

Just fitting the EXC 520 sprockets for mainly road use - what's a good practical mix? - Aiming for a top speed of say 70mph.

14 x 48 ?
13 x 40 ?
I used to run a 540cc and settled on 14 - 50 sprockets for everything. Enduro, rallys and road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts