KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just bought an exc-f 250 2007 and want to get it through its MOT.

Problem is that the brake light does not illuminate when I press the front/rear brakes.

The bulb looks fine, and illuminates when the headlights are on (it has two separate filaments).

Is there a common fault with the switches, or fuses, or wiring which I should focus on??

Don't want to start hacking in to the wiring until I know a bit about the problem.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks! Elliot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the fact that neither front or rear brake illuminates the bulb makes me think it is a fuse or a earthing wire which is affecting the joint circuit.

As opposed to having two faulty switches, although that is also possible...

Anyway any help appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
31,492 Posts
Make sure the front switch is in place correctly as they tend to come away and bring on the brake light full time.

With the engine stood you should hear the switch click when you pull the lever. Disconnect it if in doubt and then see if the rear brake switch works when the bike is running.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
yeah, just pull the connectors off the switches
see if they work when touching them together (don't let the connectors touch the frame!)
if they do, then switches faulty

if the wires touched together don't work, follow the wires to the connectors under the seat
disconnect them. trace which wires run to switch/earth
plug a bulb straight in using some wire
try touching the switch wires together and test switches too
not working? then fault is in loom between switch and connector(corroded/worn through on frame)
working? then the fault is between connectors and tailight unit
buy this? i've used a few on various bikes and last well for the money Polisport Enduro L.E.D Tail Light & Rear Fender Stop MX Trail Supermoto KTM CR | eBay

lighting problems are a given on an 8yr old dirtbike i'm afraid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information KevInYorks and Rob110.

I will have a look tonight and try to solve the mystery!! I had a feeling i would end up tracing wires, but i was unsure about the quality/lifespan of the switches.

As you say, might be worth swapping the switches anyway.

Thanks!! Elliot

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
The problem on the earlier models was the bulb holder , water gets in through the drain hole and then never seems to get out !

Most seal the hole to prevent it.

I'd check there first myself as sometimes just repositioning the bulb in the holder will work .. It is best to replace it though.

KIY used to do an l.e.d bulb conversion which does away with the holder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts