KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2009 250 EXC-F and since replacing my steering bearings a month or so ago i've been getting vibration on the road. I don't know if it's related to changing the steering bearings as my steering's spot on now but thought I should just mention that that was the last thing I done before I started noticing it and i've been out greenlaning a couple of times since then and it seems to be getting worse.

I've looked through the threads i could find regarding vibrations but they all seem to be in relation to engine balance and i have zero vibration when stationary and it's not noticeable off-road (perhaps cos the grounds so rough anyway) but when i get on some flat tarmac the handle bars vibrate in relation to my speed. ie the faster I go the faster the vibrations which makes me think it may be something to do with the front wheel?

When i'm getting these vibrations if i look down at my front wheel I can see the front suspension forks moving back and forth, the quicker i go the quicker they move. I've pretty much convinced myself it has something to do with the front wheel and I was just gunna buy a replacement front wheel and see what happened but then i seen the price of a front wheel on Ebay so thought I'd best check on here first as to what I should be checking for so i know if it is that?

I haven't changed anything at all on the front wheel (other than brake pads but it's nowt to do with my braking) since I've bought the bike like a year ago.

Any help's much appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Front wheel is out of balance due to the tyre rim lock. Install some lead spoke weights on the opposite side of the wheel. Simples.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Do I need to take this to a garage that can balance the tyre? The strange thing is though it didn't used to do this and I've had the bike a year.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi ...Agree with Fastbelly .......out of balance......same as your car, when weights fall off the front wheel..
Re-balance the old way.......
place bike on stand and spin the front wheel....
allow to come to a stop...and mark the lowest point with a marker/ chalk.
Repeat several times and you should see same point, coming to rest, at the lowest point.
Place a weight...lead spoke weight that the road bikes use......or mock up something...eg bolt held onto spoke with black tape.
Spin again and confirm that the lowest point is now random...and not consistently one point.
Weigh the mock-up bolt and go buy the correct lead spoke weight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot Macrut! I had no idea it was that simple to balance wheels but it makes perfect sense. I shall give that a go when i get home from work (in a few days) and hopefully this will fix the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts