KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way of knowing what size 1 or 2 my 2008 exc 125 piston is before i strip the head and barrel to replace it. as i would like to get the piston kit before i strip it. i was told it is stamped on the barrel but i cant see where. I do know that it is still on its standard piston as i have had the bike from new and the piston has never been done. The bike has 50 hours so i pressume it is well over due for a new piston (bike has just completed the Natterjack and is still running fine)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi Emmgeo, how did your lad enjoy and do after ? Thanks for getting the fuel for Rhys. He enjoyed the event very much but complained for days after that his back and arms were aching. Thats youngsters for you !!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
He realy enjoyed it,he got 7th place on both days in the clubman class and 25th overal for the two days,not bad for his age and his first adult timed card enduro (nothing like chucking him in at the deep end),i see Rhys done well,getting the fuel for him was no problem,glad to help.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I changed the original in mine at around 90 hours, and that was still fine. Probably a number 1, will be on the barrel. You can put a number 2 in though, thats what i did.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just drop your water and take your head off , it'll be stamped on the piston, quickest way m8 ;-)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I found it was not possible to make it out on the piston. I eventually found the marking on the RHS of the barrel in the power-valve arm compartment. I bet it's an on-going joke at the KTM factury to see what is the most obscure place they can hide it in....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Here is a piccy of my barrel, you can see the number 1 stamped on the top,
You can see this stamp with the head still fitted, 125 and 200 barrel's are usually stamped in this position

·
Registered
281 Posts
if you had the bike from new then a no 1 will be fitted
I was told by a reputable KTM dealer that new bikes can have a 1 or a 2 piston. The reason is that the machine that makes the pistons starts off with 1's for a while, and when it wears, the ones that are then produced become 2's as they are marginally bigger that a 1. It's just a case of extending the piston-making machine's life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a piccy of my barrel, you can see the number 1 stamped on the top,
You can see this stamp with the head still fitted, 125 and 200 barrel's are usually stamped in this position
Cheers peepod, found it on the same place as your barrel,its a number one piston

1 - 11 of 11 Posts