KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently became a proud owner of an '05 450 with the brake light permanently on. With some testing I deduced it was the rear pressure switch causing this. I have replaced it twice now only for the switch to fail on both new switches after only a couple of rides. Redline have kindly replaced it under warranty once but what are the chances of them doing it again? I have been reliably informed that they are prone to failure but this repetition so quickly points to another problem? Has anybody come across this problem?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think you could adjust it - I thought it was just activated by the brake fluid pressure regardless of pedal position??!!

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Is the rear brake staying on and binding so that you get pressure build up in the system? Make sure the pedal is returning far enough to allow the fluid to go back up into the reservoir when you push the caliper against the disc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John, no the brake is working fine and the pedal returns to its position ok. I will take the cap off the master cylinder to see if that releases any built up pressure. The last switch I returned I tested with circuit tester when off the bike and it was making a circuit contact then so I'm thinking something is making the switch stick on. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Weird. I have never seen a genuine KTM switch fail.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the 2 I have had are gen. KTMs - so that can't be 3 switches that have failed? Might be crap in the brake fluid causing it to stay on. I will change it and give the switch a blow out and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Are you absolutely sure its not the front brakelight switch? Thats very common, comes off the master cylinder and light stays on all time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep 100% sure - I have disconnected the rear switch and the front brake light works fine. Connect the rear switch and the light stays on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope it's definitely stuck in the on position. Sucked it, blew it, knocked it and tapped it but it stays on. Looks like another phone call tomorrow!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm getting my spares from Redline in Leicester - 01509 230001. Part no: 50311051100 (BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH REAR '98) for around £11.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah Redline are good ( great online parts fiche's too ) i use them to get the part numbers then get In Moto in croydon to order them for me ;^)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
'R lad had a rear brake light switch fail a few months back. As you say it fails in the on position.

Very strange to have two fail in such a short time :confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm guessing the brake pedal applies pressure and in turn operates a mechanical device which makes the contact and gets stuck in the 'on' position. Unless I am getting supplied from a duff batch I am already on my 3rd switch (including the one the bike came with)! I will let you know if I can make it 4 in a row!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here we go again - MOT Time again fitted my good switch 24hrs before MOT - take it into the shop, brake light is stuck on again!

Since my last post - I have had the brake line out and cleaned it - replaced the rear disc, pads, slave cylinder piston and seals. Brake works fine - switch keeps failing.

Called AMS and asked if they have any in stock and if they know of any issues with the replacement switches and the guy said "I don't know but we sell loads of these"!

So my guess is that KTM are supplying an inferior make of switch as a replacement part for these older bikes now so I might try and source one from ORO, probably find that I get the same problem though!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on this if anyone else comes across this problem. I fitted an ORO switch (M10 x 1.00 PN: 44-719E - £14.58 plus post) and it is still working after a week.

PS. My 450 is now a 560 thanks to KB Racing - loving it! ;0)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts