KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently going through checking the valve clearances on my 2009 RC8. I’ve noticed my spark plugs are black and have excess fuel in them.
What’s the best and worst case scenario for a cause of the excess fuel ?

Ive also noticed a white residue inside the engine. Would that be due to the engine not heating up enough to get rid of any moisture, and could this cause any damage or will it sort itself out ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Photos of the plugs would be beneficial. Overfueling could be incorrect map loaded, blocked air filter. Might be oil, that's why it'd be best to post a photo.

Probably not O2 sensors if both plugs are the same colour.

How many miles do you get on a tank? That's an indication sometimes if the MPG is really bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I’ve now added in the photos. The fuel residue was up to where the black stops.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks like rich mixture or wrong plug. Which plugs are these, do both cylinders look the same?

·
Registered
41 Posts
When was air filter changed?
Stock exhaust?
Has it been remapped?
How many miles to a tank?

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Is the bike being used for short journeys / urban use?

Cans a bit sooty on the end?

It needs to stretch its legs, get properly warm and to be given the beanz.

My 990 adv gets a bit snuffly if its poodled about on an urban run and enjoys a less restrictive blatt (properly set up btw)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When was air filter changed?
Stock exhaust?
Has it been remapped?
How many miles to a tank?
Unfortunately I’ve not had chance to ride it since buying it. It’s got a Jester exhaust, a CPR ram air intake and the SAS blanking plates. I had a dump sheet with it but I’ve no idea whether that was just a run to see the power or if any adjustments were made.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wonder if the AFR is plotted on the dyno chart, sometimes they'll add meta data like the reg, what modifications and date of run. If all that matched your bike and the AFR wasn't too rich then something may have happened since.

The line that comes from the tank to the injector feed is held on by spring tension clamp. If that was loose fuel could be pooling in the airbox. If it was a heavy leak you would get fuel leaking out of the overflow and you would notice it.

If it was only dripping then the fuel could evaporate and be fed through the engine enriching the mixture. I'm sure at some point though you'd notice the mpg was really bad or fuel smell or have dripping out the bottom.

I'm going with possible blocked intake (clogged overoiled filter) or mapping issue for now, only way to be sure is to go for a long run, check the brim to brim mpg and if still bad pull the plugs again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if the AFR is plotted on the dyno chart, sometimes they'll add meta data like the reg, what modifications and date of run. If all that matched your bike and the AFR wasn't too rich then something may have happened since.

The line that comes from the tank to the injector feed is held on by spring tension clamp. If that was loose fuel could be pooling in the airbox. If it was a heavy leak you would get fuel leaking out of the overflow and you would notice it.

If it was only dripping then the fuel could evaporate and be fed through the engine enriching the mixture. I'm sure at some point though you'd notice the mpg was really bad or fuel smell or have dripping out the bottom.

I'm going with possible blocked intake (clogged overoiled filter) or mapping issue for now, only way to be sure is to go for a long run, check the brim to brim mpg and if still bad pull the plugs again.
I’ll give the mpg ago as there’s doesn’t seem to be any signs of fuel having leaked anywhere.
I haven’t had chance to ride it since buying it so I’m just waiting for this lockdown to be over so I can give it a good run.

ive been tidying up the wiring under the seat today And come across a bunch of plugs that I’ve no idea what they are . Any ideas ?

This is the before and after. All the smaller wires are from who ever installed the indicators and didn’t do a very good job. But I’ve no idea what the wires in the above picture are for. Should there be a power commander connected to one of them ? Could that be the reason for the plugs being black and covered in fuel ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
4th from left, white capped connector with 6 terminals is comms with ECU. This is what you plug in an OBD adaptor to for remapping. Maybe if it was a power commander tune it could run rich without it added, but I'd expect a PC would be adding more fuel and adjusting the timing.

Normally the base map is not that far from optimum, PC tweaks that extra few BHP in certain areas.

I think the biggest connector might be alarm interface, the one on the right with heat shrink is normal, the others would be in the wiring diagram for your bike in the service manual, you can download them for free if you haven't already.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4th from left, white capped connector with 6 terminals is comms with ECU. This is what you plug in an OBD adaptor to for remapping. Maybe if it was a power commander tune it could run rich without it added, but I'd expect a PC would be adding more fuel and adjusting the timing.

Normally the base map is not that far from optimum, PC tweaks that extra few BHP in certain areas.

I think the biggest connector might be alarm interface, the one on the right with heat shrink is normal, the others would be in the wiring diagram for your bike in the service manual, you can download them for free if you haven't already.
Thanks. At least that clears up a few of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts