KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some idle/stalling issues for last 2-3 days, was also popping alot on overrun while riding this morning. Noticed this today when leaving work ..well i guess thats knackered then :unsure:

I cleaned it fully Sunday before last and it had an MOT 1 week ago today (15/09), so it was deffo not like that last week . Annoying really as I've not really used it for the last 18 months/2 years and was enjoying blasting to and from work in still quite warm afternoons.

Anyway the can is now it 2 bits :LOL:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Fender Gas
Wood Floor Automotive exterior Bumper Tints and shades
Automotive tire Wood Insect Asphalt Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Jet engine Aircraft engine Turbine Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch.
Is that the stock one?
Did you ever clean while still hot?
No its not the stock system, it a JCE I believe. It was on the bike when I got it and its never really cleaned up well tbh mate. I going to look into rebuilding a can for it, or maybe get a Jester instead.

will see :unsure: ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another lad on facebook said his JCE exhaust done the same thing, so maybe its a bit of an issue with the JCE ...... the sheet metal its made from is really thin tbh

·
Registered
KTM RC8
187 Posts
I've got one, no longer on the bike as it's too loud. Mine had no issues despite the outer skin being dented. No idea on the mileage.

The outer construction is riveted, 3.2mm diameter aluminium rivets. The metal can be replaced if you measure and cut stainless sheet it should be simple to roll by hand due to how thin the sheet is.

Ideally you would seam weld it, but one edge folded over another folded edge, and then riveted at about 35mm centres with exhaust paste to fill the gaps should be sufficient.

The inner core is welded to the end caps, so without a welder you'd rivet the folds in situ, then rivet it all back to the end caps and then through the edge banding on top.

I've got a welder though, so I'd probably just repack it and patch over the hole and fracture, it'd be a Frankenstein creation but if it was my only exhaust then so be it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got one, no longer on the bike as it's too loud. Mine had no issues despite the outer skin being dented. No idea on the mileage.

The outer construction is riveted, 3.2mm diameter aluminium rivets. The metal can be replaced if you measure and cut stainless sheet it should be simple to roll by hand due to how thin the sheet is.

Ideally you would seam weld it, but one edge folded over another folded edge, and then riveted at about 35mm centres with exhaust paste to fill the gaps should be sufficient.

The inner core is welded to the end caps, so without a welder you'd rivet the folds in situ, then rivet it all back to the end caps and then through the edge banding on top.

I've got a welder though, so I'd probably just repack it and patch over the hole and fracture, it'd be a Frankenstein creation but if it was my only exhaust then so be it.
I do have a little mig welder so bodging it up with a wrap around patch isnt that bad of an idea, i think i will just replace it at some point though.

·
Registered
KTM RC8
187 Posts
Just a thought, the fracture looks like it's aluminum. So MIG might not be straight forward. Lumiweld type brazing some sheet metal over it would probably work though, and if you already have a MAP torch it'd be possible with little extra expense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've fixed a shitload of these over the past few years...the titanium sleeves are too thin..I can re pack and replace the sleeve with one of my 0.9mm stainless sleeves. P.M me.....Gez at jester68 exhausts.
Cheers for the reply mate, ive sort of put this on the the back burner for now.. what with kids birthdays and Christmas coming up..its pretty much an expense i could do without at the minute in fairness..that being said,

I will deffo get back to you about this, but the more i ponder what to do i'm more swayed to the idea of one of your 97DB systems, as when i do use my bike i quite often commute which means starting the bastard up before 7AM in the mornings 😂.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts