KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a fan kit from Niknak and he sent an override switch with it too. The fan is easy enough to install with the thermoswitch (95-100 degree) controlling the fan but how to I wire in the switch he sent me too? It's not just a case of plugging it in so I am clueless as to where and how to wire it in.

I was considering not using the switch and just getting a cooler thermoswitch to control the fan as it will be a lot easier to fit and wont require me hamming up the loom.

Has anyone fitted one? Bike is a '13 350 EXC.

Thanks,

Taff

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Touching the 2 wires (closing the loop) that connect to the thermal switch activates the fan. I popped into a BMW dealer and picked up a 91 degree 'auxiliary fan switch' from a BMW 318 1984. It's an exact replacement for the KTM one.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Touching the 2 wires (closing the loop) that connect to the thermal switch activates the fan. I popped into a BMW dealer and picked up a 91 degree 'auxiliary fan switch' from a BMW 318 1984. It's an exact replacement for the KTM one.
Okay thanks for that. Think I'm going to see how I get on with the thermoswitch for now and if I need to wire that switch in I can. Did they have that switch in stock at BMW or did they order it in for you? I have found the KTM part number but they are £30! What is the best temperature to have it coming on as they do a 70 degree switch but that's probably too early. 80? 90?

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
BMW ordered it in over night and it cost £32. They sell them in the US for $12!! Next time I am there I will buy a few and bring them back.

Everything I have read suggests 90 degrees is a good place to kick in. A lot of guys fit a switch as well to be able to switch it off when stopping as the fan will keep going while the bike is off but the water pump isn't pumping so it wastes battery.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just bought the adventure spec kit and I was considering wiring the fan up to run when the bike is running. On saying that the lowest it gets here is probably 25 degrees in winter and 40 in summer.

Has anyone wired it up this way ?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have a 350 with rad fan I fitted used a after market bmw thermo switch £17 on at 100 off at 95 (as ktm went faulty after a month got new one under fan kit warranty not fitted it)
Happy with the bmw one and anyone that worries about over heating get waterless coolant yes waterless sell it on egay
will not boil over with this in 180 Degrees before it boils, Awesome stuff
expensive about £30 for 2 ltrs i think
older bikes get a 2013 modified rad cap to hold the pressure if using standard coolant

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers mate, bought some engine ice so thag should do the trick. Another question on this.

I installed the fan all fine but couldn't get it to come on by shorting the thermoswitch spade connectors. I heated the bike up and just as it started to steam the fan kicked in but I couldn't get it to come on by putting a screwdriver or metal object across the terminals. Does the bike have to be moving or anything for this to work? What could be the cause?

Niknak gave me a manual override switch to install too but this just plugs in to the wires that come of the thermoswitch so if I couldn't get them to come on before, can I assume the switch won't make it come on either?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
is there a live feed to the motor when not running I dont know where you wired it up but if it worked when the thermo switch got hot (then if you short them spade connectors together on switch) it should earth it it out and complete circuit and run the fan
where did you take the live feed to the fan from? and when you shorted the spade connectors together was it running ?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Connected the fan up to the only two sockets that were available. I tried to short it and make it spin with the engine off and with it running but it wouldn't work at all, so to test it was wired in properly I ran it until it got really hot then the fan came on. Quite confusing.

There should be a live feed yeah as you can have the lights on without the engine running I think.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thermo switch itself worked and the fan came on when the bike got hot enough I just can't explain why bridging the two connectors wouldn't make the fan come on. I'll try and put the switch on tomorrow and see how I get on but if bridging the connectors didn't make it come on I don't see how the switch will work as that's exactly how the switch works, just 6 inches further up the wire.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
That makes no sense at all. As you say, the thermo switch just closes the circuit. Mine comes on when I touch the wires.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless I was doing something really dense? I held a screwdriver across the two spade connectors with them plugged in to the thermoswitch and then with them just loose, with it running and with it not.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Not using one of those insulated screw drivers are you? :D I'm sure you're not. Try touching one of the connectors on an engine bolt, that works too. Which ever way, seems your fan is coming on when it should so happy days!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
BMW ordered it in over night and it cost £32. They sell them in the US for $12!! Next time I am there I will buy a few and bring them back.

Everything I have read suggests 90 degrees is a good place to kick in. A lot of guys fit a switch as well to be able to switch it off when stopping as the fan will keep going while the bike is off but the water pump isn't pumping so it wastes battery.

do you have a BMW part no. for that mate?

do KTM make a 90deg thermostat?

cheers

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
thanks kermit
this forum gets better and better
who needs ktmtalk eh?

Reactions: frogger

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
So at what temperatures does the standard KTM switch come on and off?

95deg on my 013 450 i think...........
it's stamped on the brass

1 - 20 of 20 Posts