KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
If so, l bet they offer an expensive "upgrade" kit for tpi's.
….with frame, wheels, forks, seat, tank all attached……..

• Haha
Reactions: Pindie and Ship

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Rumour has it that 2023 will see KTM go back to premix and use Throttle Body Injection.
I’m fairly certain it’s more than a rumour🤔

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Is that Fantic motor still a Yamaha based motor? Is the injection part down to Yamaha or someone else? Looks like crankcase injection.

Why’s nobody else trying to make tpi work? Where does TM inject their fuel?

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
[QUOTE="grantmotox, post: 5863699, member: 11704"

I'm not sure how they will get it to pass euro5 on the exc's :cautious:
[/QUOTE]

I reckon they will write a dealer delivery map for that and then you change it on purchase. Unless euro5 prevents that?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Is that Fantic motor still a Yamaha based motor? Is the injection part down to Yamaha or someone else? Looks like crankcase injection.

Why’s nobody else trying to make tpi work? Where does TM inject their fuel?
Looks like a YZ. Defo YZ p/v and waterpump, head, cases, etc. all look very similar.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
From farcebookings....

View attachment 43385
Yes YZ 250 engine, opened up to 300.
Ha ha great the fi is not as deep as the carb so allows room to put a starter motor there using the blind hole (machined out) that was to support the end of the kick start shaft, just hope that area is strong enough to do that, maybe they changed the castings. Does not look like there is the option to run a kick start so best hope this afterthought electric start is better than the pre 17 ktm one.
Looks like that injector has been chemmi metal'd in there ;)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
[QUOTE="grantmotox, post: 5863699, member: 11704"

I'm not sure how they will get it to pass euro5 on the exc's :cautious:
I reckon they will write a dealer delivery map for that and then you change it on purchase. Unless euro5 prevents that?
[/QUOTE]
Don't the tpi's still come with those very restrictive exhausts to make them pass emissions that get changed for a normal one? be very suprised if that is legal.
Sure I have seen pictures of them on the showroom floor with these exhausts still on the bikes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's very strict compared to 4.
I would suspect even being allowed to mix your own premix wouldn't be allowed. With TPI it's factory calibrated, same as the fixed idle screw.

Yes, the tpi's still come with the silly exhaust and a factory o2 sensor. Both of which is removed during PDI

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Don't the tpi's still come with those very restrictive exhausts to make them pass emissions that get changed for a normal one? be very suprised if that is legal.
Sure I have seen pictures of them on the showroom floor with these exhausts still on the bikes.
[/QUOTE]
Together with the exhaust, they have a restrictive throttle stop and air filter cage. It all gets binned off.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Together with the exhaust, they have a restrictive throttle stop and air filter cage. It all gets binned off.
[/QUOTE]

!!!That can not be legal, VW got stung in a big way for cheating emissions regs. At least ktm would be able to afford a big fine the prices they charge.

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Homologation - they are imported restricted, with indicators, mirrors, kill switch etc ..... and all removed at pdi.

Dunno how that works legally / insurance wise etc, but on a need to know basis l dont need to know!

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Up untill the bike is sold it cannot be changed from the factory homologation spec.

Once it's sold you can do what you like....bikes don't get emission tested at MOT time...so off comes the homologation shite....

If you go to a car showroom you won't see (or more precisely, you shouldn't see) any unregistered cars in there with accessories like roof boxes, mudflaps, body mouldings etc that can possibly affect the fuel efficiency of that vehicle...as it's against the law and the fines can be pretty steep!

Once the car is sold (registered) you could put a giant sail on the roof and any other stuff you can think of.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Yamaha are a major shareholder of Fantic and Fantic own Minarelli..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts