KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 08 RC8 couple of weeks ago with 2500km on it . So it should be good as new.
But I have a problem with the fuel gauge . The low fuel light did not come on the dash and i drove the bike until it ran dry. I had to push is about 2 km down a hi way to a gas pump . Filled up the tank and it started and drove perfectly again . But its pain in the *** not getting a light when the tanks almost empty and having to keep and eye on you're trip distance . Is this a common problem and what could be causing it .

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
If its set at 300 then it looks like your sender has given up the ghost :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been curious about this. What does the reaction time relate to? Is it how long the fuel light stays on once you have refuelled as my fuel light stays on for a while?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Someone will probably correct me, but I believe the longer the delay time, the more accurate the remaining fuel/miles calculation. Though you need to get the balance right, too long a delay is a pain in the arse. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
yep as above, but it can also lead to not showing at all if you set it too high. I use the standard 300 and i know when it comes on i have exactly 30 miles to get some fuel!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike is set at 10 sec on that . Could this be to low ? . And alsow I had a dead battery and didn't find out til i try'd to push the starter. In the manual its says that there should be a warning on the dashboard . But it didn't let me know either . maybe the diagnostick system is not work ? If this is even possible

·
Registered
214 Posts
the low battery warning only shows up when its waaaay too late, unless the battery is perfect the rc8 will struggle to start. Id change the setting back to the default 300 pal, 10 secs may have been the issue causing it to not read the fuel level certainly worth a try anyway

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok il give that a try and see how that works out . Thanks for the info . Il be taking a little trip of about 200 km tomorrow so i should definitely see the light comon after about 150 km . Last tank lasted about 180 km .

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
+1 on the battery, I found the RC8 to have expensive taste when it came to batteries, mine certainly ate a couple (though I did have a datatool alarm). You must keep 'em fully charged.

Unless your fuelling is way off, I would expect to see around 160 - 180km before you get a warning, then you may have around 40km to find fuel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
good luck hope it works for you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What do most people have it set to? So does the 300 seconds refer to how many seconds it takes to calculate fuel remaining? I'm being a little dense!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mines set to 300, it's the factory setting which seems to work well enough

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know it's an old thread, but there is some worrying mis-information in the previous replies.

You cannot alter the point at which the fuel warning light comes on.

The only thing that is adjustable about the fuel gauge is how many seconds it takes to reset, after filling up (or, more accurately, after you've put enough fuel in to put out the warning light)

the factory setting for the warning light reset is 300s (5 mins), ie the low fuel warning light is on, you fill up, switch the bike on again and it will take 300s/5mins before the warning light & message will go.

you can change this setting in the dash, anywhere between 10-1,000s (16mins!) in 10s increments. The factory default is 300s.

I have mine set on 10s, so the warning light goes out as I leave from filling up.

You cannot alter the point at which the fuel warning light comes on.

The tank holds 16.5L and the warning light should come on when there is 3.5L left in the tank. I've found mine (2009 R) is pretty accurate on this.

Be warned, if the low fuel warning sensor is not working, you won't know - the light just won't come on....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts