KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I’ve had my 2015 RC8R for 18months and enjoyed it immensely. Completely trouble free,up until recently. I’ve found that my offside rear indicator had stopped flashing and the offside front indicator is flashing faster than normal.
The bike came with a tail tidy and LED indicators fitted when I bought it (plus the OEM part which I still have).
Looking for some advice from the riders out there. Is this a straight forward task to troubleshoot, try to identify the cause myself? Or easier to take to the local mechanic?In a previous life I had a ZX6R which I had no issue with taking to pieces when necessary. And perhaps I’m just being precious about the RC8R. But happy to tinker with something that doesn’t involve the running of the actual bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you don't have one already then invest in a multimeter. Around £10 is all you need, that will let you check resistance, ac/dc voltage and continuity.

I will hazard a guess that all bulbs are all LEDs, likely one of the rear wires is frayed or broken internally, or shorted out, and when there's reduced current draw the flasher unit speeds up causing the other indicators to flash faster.

I would first plug the original rear unit in to test, if it worked then start checking the wiring on the aftermarket indicators. If it's still broken then the wiring problem(s) are further up the chain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't have one already then invest in a multimeter. Around £10 is all you need, that will let you check resistance, ac/dc voltage and continuity.

I will hazard a guess that all bulbs are all LEDs, likely one of the rear wires is frayed or broken internally, or shorted out, and when there's reduced current draw the flasher unit speeds up causing the other indicators to flash faster.

I would first plug the original rear unit in to test, if it worked then start checking the wiring on the aftermarket indicators. If it's still broken then the wiring problem(s) are further up the chain.
Thanks for the advice. I don’t have a multimeter yet and knew the day would come I’d benefit from have having 1. You’re right,having the original set will hopefully help identify what’s at fault. Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The front is flashing faster on that side to tell you one of your indicators is no longer working on that side. Check the connectors on the rear indicator and be prepared to replace it if it has blown.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts