KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few months after this post I finally got an X-Lite X551

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/145559-peaked-helmets-internal-sun-visor.html

I had a Shoei Hornet before so it's "sort of" a comparison with one of those if you've got one.

- Comfort - well it's a new helmet so the liner was always going to be nicer, but fit/shape etc are all good for me. Was out for 3 or 4 hours, no tight spots developed, stayed comfortable. At speed (sub 100) stayed in place, no lifting etc which may be down to the vents in it??

- Wind noise - hard to tell, perhaps a smidgen quieter, perhaps the same, but certainly quieter than any Arai I've had. I use ear plugs so YMMV.

Peak - never thought the Shoei one was much cop for keeping the sun out, X-Lite is very good. Had it in the lowest position (if you set the "finger screws" right you can move it on the fly) and was great. Not had a Tour-X but from riding with my mate would say it's the same (guessing here).

Visor - seems to have a bit more peripheral vision, and X-Lite's pin lock is bigger than the Shoei one so doesn't get in your vision.

Interval sun visor. Brilliant, all helmets should have one. Easy to use and you forget about it very quickly, it's just so natural.

Autocom - the liner has little cut out for the speakers - work well, correct position for me etc Autocom speakers fit perfectly if you take them out of the oval thing. If you don't put speakers in, I'd suggest putting some soft foam in there to reduce noise that may build with the air gap.

Helmet City - if you can get here in person, I suggest you do as they did me a nice deal over internet advertised price :) :)

Only negative is "over shoulder" checks. At speed sees the air catching the helmet a bit more than the Shoei (not by much but noticeable) and chin guard catches my jacket slightly more than the Shoei.

Thanks for the "nod" Frog - very happy with it.

cheers

Markie

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Had mine a year and a half now and 10,000 miles, finish, fit, everything still good, really good lid.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Don't really get the peaked lid on a road bike bit but I would be interested to know whether the sun visor has a light gap at the bottom. I tried my mates Schuberth with a built in sun visor a few years ago and found that the gap gave me a weird headache.

Bill

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Don't really get the peaked lid on a road bike bit but I would be interested to know whether the sun visor has a light gap at the bottom. I tried my mates Schuberth with a built in sun visor a few years ago and found that the gap gave me a weird headache.

Bill
No the dark visor gives full coverage, unlike many others on the market. Once you've had one, and discovered the convenience of being able to drop it down whenever needed, you wonder why you'd ever buy a lid without one.

Reactions: puiforcat

·
Registered
3,961 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Bill
Agree to a point on the peak - if you are a road rider only, then look else where or it's easy to remove. Off road it's great and at the speeds I normally go on road on the SE on knobblies, the peak is good for sun screening and doesn't bother me wind wise.

Sun visor goes almost to the bottom, didn't really notice the gap at the bottom and certainly didn't give me a head ache or cause any bother distraction.

cheers

Markie

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
OK they look the same as the schuberth ones in that the visor comes half way down the length of the main visor. So there would be a gap at the bottom.
The sun visor on my Schubert comes about just over half way down and is perfect for me , do not think any come right down , they really are designed to stop sun glare and they do work a treat

also you do not want to be looking out the bottom of ya helmet to be honest Lol :D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The sun visor on my Schubert comes about just over half way down and is perfect for me , do not think any come right down , they really are designed to stop sun glare and they do work a treat

also you do not want to be looking out the bottom of ya helmet to be honest Lol :D
It was the Schuberth design that gave me a headache, and not because I was looking out the bottom of it :)

I find lots of visual things can cause it, rainbow iridium visors, watching The Thick of It, so I have to be a bit careful chosing a lid with one built in.

Bill

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have had one about a month, really pissed of with the popper for the chin strap, cannot get the hang of it at all and end up leaving it undone. Otherwise ok but no great improvement over my Arai and not tried it with goggles yet.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had one about a month, really pissed of with the popper for the chin strap, cannot get the hang of it at all and end up leaving it undone. Otherwise ok but no great improvement over my Arai and not tried it with goggles yet.
I don't have a problem with the popper - sure yours isn't faulty? Not had a tour=x but it's better than the Hornet for the peak and interval sun visor alone.

chjeers

Markie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.