KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all but decided to go for a KTM Superduke GT, pending an agreeable test ride.
I'm going for the test ride of the GT and the R this weekend, and plan to put down the deposit if I like the bike.
I have never purchased a new bike before, so any tips or advice?
Bikes are in short supply at the moment so I do not think prices will be negotiable, are there any areas I can push for more value; extras, service plan, warranty etc?
Any input is appreciated, especially if you have a SDR/GT!

Thanks

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
IMO always trying to screw the dealer is counter productive. They need to make a profit just like any business and if you always try to screw them you'll never get any favors. I'm on it for the long term relationship with my preferred dealer and its payed off well in the long run. An example would be when i bought my first SDR i asked them if I could have it for the day to test ride as I really wanted to be sure before I bought it and they said yes, no problem. Had the bike for about 7 hours on the test ride. Previous to this I had bought a few bikes from them and never haggled on price but they always sort me out.

When it comes to servicing in early summer and they have a 4-5 week waiting time they just say drop it down and we'll have it ready in a couple of days.

Buying bikes is a two way deal.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You need to be a cash buyers, for a start. And be undecided about the bike in question. Let them know you're also considering another make (preferably one which they don't sell and which is a bit cheaper than the GT/SDR). Do your homework and work out the advantages of the other bike you're "interested" in and give your KTM dealer something to match to get your sale. And don't take the piss. Get a couple of bits out of the accessory catalogue or a free service, or use the bike purchase to get a knockdown deal on something else in-store, like getting a couple of hundred quid off a new helmet or some luggage or something.

And best of all, wait til the middle of February and buy an outgoing reg bike, not the first of the new plates. Covid has fucked things up a bit but in normal times KTM are notorious for slashing prices on the last of the current reg models to clear showrooms floors ready for the new batch. Keep an eye on prices. Once they start discounting you know they're eyeing up floor space and want rid.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you are buying on finance, you can probably make better savings by shopping around for the right deal on the finance package than you will on the topline price of the bike.
Dealers make small % margins on bikes and large % margins on gear, accessories etc. I've had good luck by agreeing to pay full retail on a new bike but asking if they can can do a good deal on (for instance) a Shoei helmet or something at the same time.
If you want a bargain deal on a new bike, then you are at the wrong end of the year. KTM do do decent discount to clear inventory from Oct on, but they are dependent on the bike you want being an unsold run-out model (ie late last year you could get a good deal on a new 790 Adventure S).

·
Registered
859 Posts
Oh, and another thing...don't take the piss or try to play games...these guys do this for a living.
Better find a dealer you can trust to prep the bike properly and deal with any issues that do come up effectively.
I'd sooner buy a KTM from a long-established dealer who 'knows the score' and is small enough to value you as a customer than a big discounter.
When I bought my 950 back in 2006, I went to AMS and said "I really don't want to buy from Fowlers" (I lived between the two.
They let me ride three different demonstrators back-to-back, then ride the first one again, then did me a deal on a nearly-new used 950 Adv. And I've still got it!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It’s already been said Found with KTM’s it’s all about the dealer, my local is just around the corner instead travel 40 miles down the road.

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
Dealers make 12% on a normal bike.

KTM sometimes give discounts to the dealers which they may, or may not pass on to the customer.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Try local first (assuming they appear competent)

I am lucky as Premier is my local dealer and always have looked after me to the point I have never felt the need to phone around for the best price, 2 new bikes on a special deal and one used bike they did at very reasonable price.

Worht asking what deal you can get, no harm in asking, but consider everything you want on bike and maybe other kit - more likely to have more wiggle room to discount on a bigger package with other bits and pieces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the information folks.

I'm not planning on getting finance, and I do intend on going for a few extras; Akra, Luggage, Electronics Pack some carbon farkles etc, hopefully there will be some wiggle room there.

Does anyone have experience with KD motorcycles in Blackburn? On the phone they seemed like a decent sort and the reviews on google are positive, but I'd be interested in anyone's personal experience.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Never heard of them. Just walk in with a bag of cash. Throat punch the first salesman that jumps out at you and tell him "if he want's the money, to get back up off the floor and do a deal or he'll get another". If he gets back up, slot him again and tell him you aint messin.

·
Registered
17,128 Posts
Another good tactic is to buy their ex-demo or a pre-registered model. I’ve just picked a brand new 0 mile pre-registered 890 Duke R for £8495

The 2022 model is £11049, it’s yet to be confirmed but it looks like exactly the same bike aside from livery, with that awful shitty blue/green colour from the 1290 Superduke 🤢🤮

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a brand new GT this time last year,got a great deal but i had so much trouble with it,leaking forks,leaking hoses etc after 4 months could not take anymore,dealer was no help saying the forks do leak on that model,got 3 mates with the R none of them have any problems,[just saying] the R seems much better quality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am still angry about it a year later because i loved it but,the quickshifter never worked and they said that's what they are like,yet on my super adventure,forks don't leak,qs works,it's basically the same engine,i could write a small book about all its problems and it was a 140 mile round trip every time but do not want to name the dealer,i now have a 2 and half year old bike that i bought from my local Bmw dealer so can go and try other ktm dealers,i am off early tomorrow to one [100 mile round trip] to get some heated grips fitted,had a ride on a few R's and super adventures[owned 2] but by far the GT was the worst riding bike of all of them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When they work these toys they're great fun.

when not on new models, ktm dont wanna f know the dealer cunts deffo don't want to deal with issues

well known ones too

1 - 20 of 27 Posts