KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'morning all,

I haven't been on the forums for a while, busy life with work and all riding my KTM, i never really got a chance to post here how GREAT life is living on a 690SMR. But unfortunately this "dream-state" was about to end...

It's nothing "serious", well depends on what people perceive as serious. I have to replace the clutch discs... and i have only 5000km on the dial. This is not normal, i never had to replace clutch discs in all other bikes (or car) i had. Even the technical manager of KTM greece admitted he never heard of a 690 needing clutch discs replacement at 5000km... :(

Now, to get you in the correct overall picture (and here is where i need your help) i have to tell you that for the last 1500-2000 km i had stopped checking my oil level. And that was a HUGE mistake by me... But how should i know that this engine is an OIL-EATER. It should come with a warning really. 1000 litres of oil consumption in less than 4000 km is really A LOT. Anyway, it means that for about 1000km the engine was running with 500 litres of oil instead of 1500 ish.

So, could that be the reason my clutch discs got worn so fast? My engineer says it's a possibility. Other reason is bad material from the beginning. And last but not least, bad usage on my part. I want to elaborate this last one a bit, for what is worth.

I use the bike 95% in heavy traffic. Most of the time i am in 1st gear trying to get around cars stuck in traffic. As the gearing is too high (and the fuelling is still a bit bad in low revs) i use the clutch more than how i used it on every other bike i had. And another thing, the well-known-by-now stalls when u start to accelerate from halt. I found a way to get over them by holding the clutch a bit more and getting the revs a bit higher than normal before i let go the clutch (so i dont get any stalls).

Now, which of these (or all of these) do you think is the most probable reason for such a premature clutch discs wear? Because i dont want to experience that again, i will now of course check level and add oil a lot more often. And i ordered a smaller front sprocket (1 tooth down) so that i dont have to use the clutch that often in heavy traffic. And i will start normally (as with every other bike), even it means i get the FI cutoff and stall and look like a complete idiot.

But i hope i wont have to change the clutch discs again in 5000 km... Looking forward to your replies, i really want to try and nail down the cause of this. Btw, discs in general (and therefore clutch discs as well) are not under warranty. Checking the warranty rules i noticed that almost nothing is covered by warranty, but that's another story...

P.S. why can't i see all the posts in the Supermoto sub-forum? i only see about 10 threads and i can't see the other pages with the rest of the threads. any1 knows why?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Hey Bud

Too little oil could easilly have caused the plates to overheat and warp or overheat and just rub each other smooth!

Scroll to the bottom of the sub forum to "display options". It is probably set to only display 1 days threads or so. Set it to the last 30 days

Seth

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm inclined to agree, you're not putting it in the petrol tank are you?:eek:
mind you, no oil leaks, no nothing... i was checking for leaks every day and -partly- that was the reason i stopped checking the oil level. i would NEVER think that an engine without any visible oil leaks can consume so much oil. but, now i know better... (even KTM says its normal, or at least my dealer after contacting KTM).

so, you think that the engine being more than half-empty in oil, can be the cause of premature clutch disc wear? it was working for about 1000km in 1/3 of the normal oil volume :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bud

Too little oil could easilly have caused the plates to overheat and warp or overheat and just rub each other smooth!

Scroll to the bottom of the sub forum to "display options". It is probably set to only display 1 days threads or so. Set it to the last 30 days

Seth
just noticed your reply, thanks! that's what my engineer said, that probably that's the cause.

do you think running it with too little oil could have caused some other damage as well? something i should have my engineer deliberately check?

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Hey Bud

Seth
that function sucks mate:rolleyes:

as for oil if its drinkin a litre of oil theres problems, all these new ktms are not getting very good press really, its like they just released them half finished.... a few drz's a while back were burning nearly all there oil before the service change :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is someone getting the figures mixed up here ?

1000 litres ?
:D
Dude is confused.
I wrote earlier -
New 690 singles 1 minute after getting in from a ride.
Sharp driving shifting all gears between 6400-7500 rpm 370ml oil should be top consumption per 1000km (mine 170ml).
That's confirmed even by our bud from village nearby who works in KTM factory, not only
by local dealer/service.
I was also worried about this 170ml and just have to ask everywhere I can.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Loads of modern bikes use lot's of oil, Triumphs, BM's and Suzuki DRZ's for example when you run them at high revs for a prolonged period.

So far my 690 is using very little oil but when there is less than 2 litres in it to start with you need to check it after every ride which is simple enough using the site glass.

Clearly in hotter climates than the UK there will be a tendancty for them to use even more oil particlary if in slow traffic for lots of the time. Not sure what oil consumption you are actually achieving - 1 litre in 400KM's or is it 1 litre in 4,000km's?

With regards to the needing to slip the clutch because you are in slow traffic so much - why not just lower the gearing!!

Mr Tattoo - hardly shows that modern KTM's have problems - any LC4 will suffer if it only has half the recommended oil in it :eek:

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
so what ur saying is :
5000 - 4000 = ur bike has been running on 500 ml of oil
5000 - 3500/3000 = u stopped checking oil level
3500/3000 - 0000 = you have not topped up any oil ????

something wrong big time if from 0 -3500 u have not topped up with oil and then all of a sudden u burn off 1 litre in 1500 k :confused:
did u top the oil level up at all ?

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Mr Tattoo - hardly shows that modern KTM's have problems - any LC4 will suffer if it only has half the recommended oil in it :eek:
all the other model ktms old style i work on and ride dont use oil between servicing, that amount he is saying is not normal, or else it would not of fooked a clutch in them miles:dozey:

·
Registered
889 Posts
all the other model ktms old style i work on and ride dont use oil between servicing, that amount he is saying is not normal, or else it would not of fooked a clutch in them miles:dozey:
Problem is that no one is quite sure what the oil consumption is - probually 1 litre in 4,000kms or 250ml every 1,000 km's. If this is the case then yes it is little high.
The major issue is that it would appear that the oil level has not been checked and so as the level has gone down the remaining oil is working ever harder and so probually accelerating the consumption further.
This is not an example of problems with modern KTM's (of which I am sure there are plenty) but a lack of basic bike maintenance/mechanical sympathy - I hate to think what a 690 sounds like with only half a litre of knackered engine oil in it :eek:
I am sure that even you would recommend that someone with an earlier LC4 check the oil level on a regular basis :p

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
On my last 640 topping up the oil between services was never necessary over almost 20k miles - so the oil that I bought is still lying in the garage - I now use it for lubrication of the garage door springs every 6 months.

For my new 690 SMC, I went out and bought some of that rather expensive synthetic stuff. To date it hasn't needed a single drop between official services - and I've been keeping rather a close eye on it.

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Problem is that no one is quite sure what the oil consumption is - probually 1 litre in 4,000kms or 250ml every 1,000 km's. If this is the case then yes it is little high.
The major issue is that it would appear that the oil level has not been checked and so as the level has gone down the remaining oil is working ever harder and so probually accelerating the consumption further.
This is not an example of problems with modern KTM's (of which I am sure there are plenty) but a lack of basic bike maintenance/mechanical sympathy - I hate to think what a 690 sounds like with only half a litre of knackered engine oil in it :eek:
I am sure that even you would recommend that someone with an earlier LC4 check the oil level on a regular basis :p
most people are mechanical numpties and just ride bieks until services are due, yes "some" bikes use a bit of oil but 250ml per 600 miles, lol yeah right, if it were my bike it would be strtaight back at the stealers as that aint right. i fix, tune and build loads of diff engines, the only ones ive found to use excesive oil were a batch of some drz's and the new ktms:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
most people are mechanical numpties and just ride bieks until services are due, yes "some" bikes use a bit of oil but 250ml per 600 miles, lol yeah right, if it were my bike it would be strtaight back at the stealers as that aint right. i fix, tune and build loads of diff engines, the only ones ive found to use excesive oil were a batch of some drz's and the new ktms:rolleyes: :D
Agreed - most people are mechanical numpties but still no excuse not to check the oil level every now and then :rolleyes: As for only modern KTM's and DRZ's using oil, you have clearly never owned a Triumph :D
Mate of mine has a Triumph Tiger which uses a litre of oil every 1,000 miles :eek:

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Agreed - most people are mechanical numpties but still no excuse not to check the oil level every now and then :rolleyes: As for only modern KTM's and DRZ's using oil, you have clearly never owned a Triumph :D
Mate of mine has a Triumph Tiger which uses a litre of oil every 1,000 miles :eek:
lol ive owned many trumpets but dont wana talk about it :frown:

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
did one touch you in a bad place?:redface::frown:

do triumphs use oil though, or just leak it out, lol:D:rolleyes:
werent sure as they all broke before i hada chance to check, triumph are the husky of road bikes, utter shite :burp:

·
Registered
285 Posts
triumph are the husky of road bikes, utter shite :burp:
LOL... I had a new Husky 610 which developed an oil leak as soon as I got it home, but also - somewhat caught-up in the hype - I'm currently considering (although not that seriously really) a Street Triple R :eek:

Shall I give-up now? (especially as my other considerations are RED in colour!)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts