KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I post a thread a couple of days ago exc or xc im looking for a first enduro bike to do some practise days a hopefully av ago at racing but realy dont no where to start i have abit if experince on dirt bikes but not a massive amout im after a bike which isnt going to rip my arms off an throw me off when ever it can but i dont wont to buy 1 that im going to going to out grow quickly

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd say 250excf or xcf if your thinking more H&H and practice days than green laning and time card enduros.

I got a 450 EXC for my 1st bike as I'm 6'4" and didn't want to be too big for a 250F.

After 9 months and having only done H&H and MX practice days I'm looking to move over to an XC for the suspension and gearing. And when I do it will be a 250F. Their plenty powerful even for the odd bit if road work and I think I'd have faired much better in my first races if I hadn't been fighting a big 450 that in all honesty was probably too much for me.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
yeah a 2T exc 200 or the 4T 250-f,power on the 250 is less on/off,but the 200 is a good start and the better you get,both bikes will deliver.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Start with an exc be smart a 200 250 250f And just have fun for 12 months ride as much as possible and try to ride with more experienced guys, and as your confidence and experience grows your speed will too
My own personal thoughts believe the 250 exc is the bike you should choose, plenty of power hard of soft a truly great bike to grow on

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
depends what you want to do, 200 is the star pupil for me, but dont limit yourself, the 400/4t is a very steady bike. a lot depends on your budget and what you want to do, i figure you would eventually get used to any bike but some are much easier to learn on than others!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im wanting to have ago at everything realy so wanting a good all rounder . I was thinking 200 exc or 250 but wouldnt the 2t be much quicker 4t.
Thanks for all the feed back

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
For pure racing the 2T bikes are going to be bette however for a beginner they can run away from you a bit as they are quite lively when tweaked in the right gear. A 250 4T is a lot more mellow but then again they need reving to get going. Maybe just get something cheap to use for a while to see if you like enduro (seen plenty of faces come one go) then do more practice days were you can try some other bikes out to see what fits you best.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
^ good advice, go to a practice day, meet a few folk and try a few bikes you might try a 450 and fall for it or you might get on perfectly with a 125! best way is to try. a 250f in the right hands is a real tool, in my hands, I am a real tool, a 200 can be really zippy or with a big flywheel weight, pretty relaxed, try a few and go from there.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am on my second 200 now, wouldn't want anything else now. Tried a 250f when I first started enduro again, it just did not excite me like a small 2t does. I have dropped my barrel to bring in the power earlier, turned the pv down a bit and got the jetting just about there on the new one and it pulls from absolutely no revs. Still loads of top end, enough to put that big grin on your face. Where do you live kingy?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Plenty of power and set up right will pull well low down. Ah was gonna say you could have a blast on mine, but I am bucks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for the offer mate but its abit far if i buy 1 its gonna be second hand which model is best ive read that 08 onwards are best bet ive been offerd a nice looking 08

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got an 08 for my first bike and I've never looked back. It's a fucking cracking bike. Not as powerful as people make out. Perfect weight and power. Like Dan said I've tried my mates 250f and in my opinion there's no contest. 200 wins hands down. Ill be selling mine in a few months but just to get a newer one.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.