KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a set of 19&17" wheels to use on my 990adv for road use, so I can keep knoblies on my original wheels for off road and enjoy some spirited road riding too.
So yesterday after Thetford I fitted the wheels and went for a ride but I found that I had no speedo or ABS. I've worked out why so I sorted the front out by swapping the discs so I had the ABS ring on the disc. But when I took the back wheel off, I found a load of damage caused to the rear brake carrier. The disc had scraped a load of alloy off the carrier because the wheel is about 1-2mm narrower than the original. I could kick myself because I should have checked the set up better before riding off. :wanker:

Anyway, I now have these questions:
1) Can I get the brake carrier seperately without getting the whole caliper set?
2) I've seen some LC8 caliper+carrier secondhand. Are they all the same between 950/990/adventures/SD/RC8?
3) What do I need to get the wheel to fit? Would a spacer on one side do the job? And will the wheel be central?

Any help woould be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Eyup Gecko

I reckon you'll need the right sized spacer on the back to allow the clearance on the carrier. I've got a rear brake you might be interested in if it's the same spec?
What kind of wheels are they? The reason I ask is I know pete had the same problem with his bling excell rim and talon hub, he needed a bigger spacer which wasn't originally sent with the wheel.

HTH

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The back wheel is not a straight fit between the 950 and 990. There is a difference in the spacer to make up for a difference in the caliper/calipermount.

The ABS is the culprit. The ABS bike has a bigger spacer as far as I remember.

It was a while ago I had the wheel issues and went through all this but the end result was that I need a bigger spacer for the ABS bike than the non ABS bike.

Again - this is from memory and I may be wrong, but I think the overall width of the wheel, spaces and caliper are the same between bikes - but the larger spacer and narrower caliper change the alignment to make room for the ABS sensor ring etc.

I don't think the caliper DG has will be suitable for the ABS bike. First thing to check is the thickness of the caliper mount and compare the two. I think you will find the ABS caliper mount id narrower.

Hopefully this is a link to the thread I started about my wheel woes

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?41092-New-back-wheel-from-Talon-and-it-don-t-fit!&highlight=spacer

It might help - it might not

Pete

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eyup Gecko

I reckon you'll need the right sized spacer on the back to allow the clearance on the carrier. I've got a rear brake you might be interested in if it's the same spec?
What kind of wheels are they? The reason I ask is I know pete had the same problem with his bling excell rim and talon hub, he needed a bigger spacer which wasn't originally sent with the wheel.

HTH
I'm not sure where they originally came from but they are made in spain and were used on a 950 ADV by the previous owner.

Is the spacing different between 990 and 950s?
Mine is a 990 MY2009 if it makes a difference

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The wheel is the same width between 950 and 990.

The caliper isn't. The 990 has a narrower caliper mount and a wider wheel spacer to fill the gap. The makes the caliper clear the ABS ring.

You cannot use a 950 wheel in a 990 without the correct spacer.

I have no idea what happens if you don't have the ABS ring on the wheel.

Read the post I linked to as there are measurements in there somehwere.

Meanwhile I am sure Mooky will be along at some point and he has a wealth of knowledge (and my front mudguard).

Pete

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm not sure where they originally came from but they are made in spain and were used on a 950 ADV by the previous owner.

Is the spacing different between 990 and 950s?
Mine is a 990 MY2009 if it makes a difference
It's the OTHER side tha matters - not the sprocket side.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The disc had scraped a load of alloy off the carrier because the wheel is about 1-2mm narrower than the original. :wanker:
I am sure you will find the wheel alone is not narrower - just the spacer on the DISC side that sits in the seal

·
Premium Member
31,428 Posts
Those are KTM hubs. Simply pull the disc side spacer out your original rear wheel and push it into the 17/19 set. :)

Rims are Morad - made in Spain ;)

When you get bored with them, send me a PM and I will have them off you.

·
Premium Member
31,428 Posts
How damaged is your carrier?

Bad news is they are specific to the 990 Adventure 2009 onwards. Other bad news is you cant buy the carrier seperately, its complete with caliper.

Good news is they are not too expensive 6011308000133 BRAKE CALIPER REAR £132.83

Other good news is it did not spit you off and kill you ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for such quick replies. All helpful stuff.

I tried the spacer from my original wheel but it seemed about 1-2mm too thick. It just wouldn't squeez on. This spacer is 10mm without the bit that goes into the hub.
The spacer that came with the wheel is 4mm excluding inserted bit.
So should I force the original spacer or is it possible that I need 8-9mm spacer?

Shep,The thread with your prroblem with spacing on your wheels was interesting. You seemed to be describing my problem exactly. So do you know what size your spacer was?

Kevin, Thanks for the cost info for the caliper. I destroyed the one I have so much that the brake pad on the inner side won't stay in place. The bit it hooks onto on the front side is worn away!

Yes I was lucky I came home from that ride safely. Luckily the rubbing was steel on soft alloy so the alloy just gives way!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The spacer I have is unique for the Talon hub.

According to Kev you have KTM hubs - therefore your standard spacer should be right.

Easy check with a tape measure and a bit of thinking.

measure your ORIGINAL wheel with spacer (hint: stock the tape through the middle).

Measure the NEW wheel with spacer

Measure the swing arm gap bearing in mind this will close up to the wheel slightly when you do the nut up.

Also - there is a good chance you have now 'squeezed' the swing arm slightly by having the wrong/no spacer in

You need the NEW wheel to be the same width as OLD wheel - pretty obvious really.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try the wheel again tomorrow with the original hub and push it in a bit harder. I'll have to watch the ABS sensor too as it's a very close tolerance with the disc/ABS ring.
Then I'll have to get another caliper assembly as stated by Kevin.

I've put the non ABS discs onto my off road original wheels. On the front the original disc has a cut out to allow the ABS ring to slot into it so it doesn't stick out. So I was thinking of withdrawing the ABS sensor by a 1mm or so on the front with a washer and gettting another ABS ring in without fouling anything, so I can have a working speedo at least. Unless there is another solution other than buying a non ABS speedo sensor that uses the bolts.

·
Premium Member
31,428 Posts
Also - there is a good chance you have now 'squeezed' the swing arm slightly by having the wrong/no spacer in
My concern too................. I will price up a swingarm too ;)

only joking!

Try putting your original off road wheel with its original spacer back into the bike. If that is as tight as the 17" wheel with the off road spacer you know you have squeezed the swingarm in a little. It will come back out again by using a jack or threaded bar with care.

Fot the off road front disc you need to either buy a 990 ABS disc or take your ABS disc and 950 disc to a machine shop and ask them to create the same step on it as the ABS disc. Please dont try any other method :)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
The wheel is the same width between 950 and 990.

The caliper isn't. The 990 has a narrower caliper mount and a wider wheel spacer to fill the gap. The makes the caliper clear the ABS ring.

You cannot use a 950 wheel in a 990 without the correct spacer.

I have no idea what happens if you don't have the ABS ring on the wheel.

Read the post I linked to as there are measurements in there somehwere.

Meanwhile I am sure Mooky will be along at some point and he has a wealth of knowledge (and my front mudguard).

Pete
I asked the front mudguard, bit it didnt have anything to add to what has already been said. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My concern too................. I will price up a swingarm too ;)

only joking!

Try putting your original off road wheel with its original spacer back into the bike. If that is as tight as the 17" wheel with the off road spacer you know you have squeezed the swingarm in a little. It will come back out again by using a jack or threaded bar with care.

Fot the off road front disc you need to either buy a 990 ABS disc or take your ABS disc and 950 disc to a machine shop and ask them to create the same step on it as the ABS disc. Please dont try any other method :)

New Swingarm !:eek:

Actually I did try the original wheel with original spacer and it did fit so the swing arm is still close to the size before I messed with it all! So I'm not sure why the new wheel won't fit. Could it be a slight difference in the inner fit with the spacer accounts for the 1mm or so.

BTW Kevin, where did you find that price for the rear caliper? The only online price I can get on a Sunday is £186 + postage.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
If the replacement wheel with your old spacer in is tight in the swingarm ............ as long it's only a mm or two don't worry. A bit of a tug (!) on the swingarm whilst inserting the wheel and it'll give enough to get it in.

Stick it all together - do the wheel spindle up to the correct torque (or just fookin tight) and check it all spins freely and nothing goes "scrape scrape" "grind grind" or makes sparks.

In all honesty when you fitted the new wheel first time round it mustn't have been able to spin easily with the wheel nut done up tight. I know my Talon seized solid when i had the wrong spacer in. Didn't you do the spin check after assembly?

Pete

1 - 20 of 41 Posts