KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a set of supermoto wheels in the garage and i think they came off a duke. What would it take to fit them to a 03 450 exc? I have got a lathe in the garage but don't know how to use it really, but i do know an engineer up the road who i get to do "shitty jobs" lol

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If they are Duke 1 or 2 wheels (spoked or mag?), either way the rear should fit easily. Be aware though that if it's got a tyre fitted, it will be the wrong way round for your EXC (chain is on the R/H side on Dukes). Front wheel on Dukes 1 and 2 are both 17mm spindle with mechanical speedo, so bit of work required. Probably the easiest way would be to get the correct 17mm spindle and have spacers made up to fit in your forks. Is your front spindle 20mm or 26mm? KTM changed the size from 20 to 26 in 03 so yours could be either.

·
Premium Member
31,547 Posts
I have fitted loads of Duke 2 wheels to EXC etc models.

Remove all disc and sprocket spacers. Swap the disc side rear spacer for the EXC one.

Use a 17mm front axle off an RGV250M if you can find one, or use the D2 axle but turn the thread down to M16.
Then make adapters for the fork bottoms, a axle spacer.
If they are BBS then you need to modify the dic carrier a bit and you can use any EXC fitment disc (260, 310, 320 etc), if they are Brembo you need to machine the front wheel face and are restricted to using the D2 style disc.

I was the first to do it years ago.

If they are Duke 125/200 wheels they are not suitable for the EXC.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cheers. How do i tell what duke they are from? They are cast and the front disc bolt pattern is much smaller than the exc.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Here's one kev did earlier

Reactions: mad-dog dhofty

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Yup and still living it here's a crappy pic from Wales two weeks ago
in white plastics

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well cheers for your help, its starting to look like a bit of a ball ache. The disc on the front wheel is massive so ill have to fit an adapter plate every time i change the wheels. I think ill hold out for hens teeth, rocking horse shite and an 18" cush drive rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
31,547 Posts
If you found a BBS set you could fit an enduro size disc.
You could make up an adapter to convert the Brembo wheel to take an enduro disc.
It all depends how much messing about you are prepared to do and how handy you are....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Similar issue

I have fitted loads of Duke 2 wheels to EXC etc models.

Remove all disc and sprocket spacers. Swap the disc side rear spacer for the EXC one.

Use a 17mm front axle off an RGV250M if you can find one, or use the D2 axle but turn the thread down to M16.
Then make adapters for the fork bottoms, a axle spacer.
If they are BBS then you need to modify the dic carrier a bit and you can use any EXC fitment disc (260, 310, 320 etc), if they are Brembo you need to machine the front wheel face and are restricted to using the D2 style disc.

I was the first to do it years ago.
Hi KevInYork, as you seem to be quite expert, I’ve got a question for you: do you know whether KTM 390 Duke would fit under a 640 Supermoto (prestige) 2006? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
31,547 Posts
No, dont fit as I tried to do a set for Wazza. They are proper skinny things, everything about them smacks of cheap shite

·
Registered
5 Posts
Indian shit they are, 110 front and 150 rear max
Ok thanks. That rules them out. I had looked at the weight of the 390, which I found comparable to my 640, but didn't know about the max tyre size.

Do I have any valid alternative if I want to fit alloy instead of spokes wheels under a Supermoto 640?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,547 Posts
RGV250 But not many cheap sets about nowerdays

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've got a pair of BBS Duke 2 wheels, very tidy condition complete with cush drive/sprocket/both discs + nearly new tyres for £350

1 - 20 of 22 Posts