KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv just fitted me new (to me) forks!

They are a million times better than the tired out pair I replaced....

The guy I bought them from said he had them rebuilt and set up for motorcross and fast H&H.
He's gone up 'one spring weight'

My question is tho, as I am only using my bike for green lane and perhaps the odd enduro what Rebound and Compression settings should I be using?

The standard settings (14 clicks) feel a little firm.....

However I have just gone from nackered old forks to more or less new forks!

·
12,587 Posts
Impossible question to answer without a shed load more information mate. Write the current settings down and had a fiddle, you can't do any harm and if it feels worse just put them back.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impossible question to answer without a shed load more information mate. Write the current settings down and had a fiddle, you can't do any harm and if it feels worse just put them back.
Cheers mate, no probs I just thought it was a common thing. They feel really firm so I wound the compression all the way out to 29 clicks and rebound out to 20 clicks.

Ill give that a go and see how it is ;)

·
12,587 Posts
i wouldnt.. no compression and used offroad, im confident you will bottom out the forks.. take 4 clicks out at a time, take a screwdriver with you and alter it while your out..

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also forgot to mention that I don't really know what I should be looking for....:(

However, I stood up on the pegs and bounced the front end and it does bounce down half as much as my old std forks?

·
12,587 Posts
put a cable tie around the fork leg (chrome part) go for a vigourous ride and see how far down the leg the cable tie goes. if it goes to the bottom you need more compression added, if it only goes down halfway you need less. rebound is the rate the fork leg returns, ideally it shouldnt 'pop' back up but should return in a smooth controlled manner.. as i said, you cant do any harm, so have a play...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
put a cable tie around the fork leg (chrome part) go for a vigourous ride and see how far down the leg the cable tie goes. if it goes to the bottom you need more compression added, if it only goes down halfway you need less. rebound is the rate the fork leg returns, ideally it shouldnt 'pop' back up but should return in a smooth controlled manner.. as i said, you cant do any harm, so have a play...
Nice1 mate thanks for that, that's given me some to go at ;) I can't wait to go and try it out now !

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
scott.................. listen to this advise...he know what he is on about

660 might be a moderator, but he is a good bloke really...:D

Reactions: 660smc

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Iv come to the conclusion that the heavier springs are too firm!

So Iv put my standard springs back in and it feels much better!

However, I backed off the preload and rebound, took forks apart, swapped spring round, put it all back together and the bloody rebound (black nob on the caps) one was just spinning and the other was stiff and would not turn by hand!!

So I took caps back off and started again! I preset the black nob to 14 clicks and put it all back together!

But my question is, why was the black nobs playing up? They were all connected up right.
I can't get my head round how they work inside??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.