KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was going to change the fork oil on the 400 today.....

Come to lose. The top cap (24mm) and the bleeders was seized!

Like everything on this bike, neglected by the last owners! So god only knows how long the oil has been in there!

The only way of getting the tops off would destroy the cap!

Does anyone have a couple of spare caps to fit a 43mm fork (400 exc 2000)
that I could buy of you? :(

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Did you do it on the bike if so did you loosen the top yoke bolts? The caps should not be on that tight as the yoke claps were meant stop them coming lose.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
ha ha ha classic lol

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
are you using a ring spanner???? and the bottom bolts should still be tight,

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
have you a heat gun to gently warm the cap?.......or a longer extension ?? you are trying to undo it anti clockwise???

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
don't use the heat gun near the cap just try and undo it anti clockwise

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bloody hell no chance, Iv put some heat into one of the caps to try and it's just rounding the head off

This one was near enough rounded off by the previous owner(s)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Christ!!:eek::eek: They are mullered! :eek: No wonder you cant get them off now. Did you bleed off the air using the bleed screw, not that the pressure would hold them that tight! :eek:

Best start looking for a new pair on ebay, Now they are fecked you could try tapping around the edge with a hammer

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did mate, was out yesterday on the bike so when I bled the air this morning to release so pressure quite a lot of air hissed out.

So annoying, next off road bike I buy I'm going to have a proper idea of what to look out for (first ktm Iv had)

Thanks for ya help dude ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
By the way, that black cap is not preload, its rebound rate adjuster.
sorry and amazed to see the mess. Once the top yoke clamps are loose they normally come out easy. Still, on the up side you have a good camera. nice pic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.