KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum!

I'm looking to sell my road bike and buy a KTM.

I've been offered a swap for my bike for a 2006 KTM 450 EXC six days edition, I've asked the guy for the frame numbers and he's sent me them, but the bike has no documents.

My bike's worth about £2500.

I've got the frame number and il call the police on monday and ask them if its all legit.

Should the bike have a matching engine number?

If anybody has had one of these stolen and would like to check the frame number just email me, I dont want to buy a stolen bike and could hopefully get someones back.

Steve

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum!

I'm looking to sell my road bike and buy a KTM.

I've been offered a swap for my bike for a 2006 KTM 450 EXC six days edition, I've asked the guy for the frame numbers and he's sent me them, but the bike has no documents.

My bike's worth about £2500.

I've got the frame number and il call the police on monday and ask them if its all legit.

Should the bike have a matching engine number?

If anybody has had one of these stolen and would like to check the frame number just email me, I dont want to buy a stolen bike and could hopefully get someones back.

Steve
Check with Police as you say - also talk to your local KTM dealer - they will be able to confirm original engine number and some of the history of the bike to see if it stacks up against what the seller is saying.

Also if the bike has been stolen and reported to KTM as stolen then this should flash up to the dealer when they check the bike history. Of course if it was stolen and no-one told KTM then they won't know !

I would expect the seller to have some paperwork..................tread carefully !

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
One of my stolen bikes turned up 2 years later when someone tried to register it with the dvla who informed the police , turns out the bloke bought it in good faith and was told it had never been registered , the bike was taken from him and returned to my insurance company , check and double check all numbers before handing over any cash ;)

There are loads of legit bikes around so if you aint sure then walk away an find another :):)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh dont worry I'm treading very carefully! ha. I'm going to have a good look at the frame number for tampering and if the frame number doesnt add up to what its described i'll walk away. It's sad that things have to be like this all because theiving little scum wont get proper jobs!
I'll give the DVLA a call aswell but the bike has never been registered.

And anyway, are these bikes good? I've read good reviews about them and I'm going to compete in a couple of enduro's through the rest of the year. I'm 6ft 2 and 15 stone so i think a 250 might not be enough

·
Registered
20 Posts
First off...No papers no sale. I would be very very careful. As for the weight, I would prefer a 450 but you should be ok on a 250 as long as you don't overdo it

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I'll give the DVLA a call aswell but the bike has never been registered.

The chap who bought mine from the scumbag who stole it was told the bike had never been registered , when he gave dvla the engine and frame numbers they told him it was already registered ;);)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to give it a miss...

I had to take into consideration that I would have to sell the bike on eventually and it would make it very difficult.

Also I thought about how the bike probably hasnt been looked after, needing rebuilds etc, as I like to look after and service my bikes.

Cheers for the help guys.

Still trying to make up my mind about 250 or 450 :dozey:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts