KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the scenario : afternoon with you mates at the track, everything going well, untill you hit that tabletop faster and harder than you supposed to... you know somethings gonna go very wrong.... you didnt had time to correct the bike position into a safe landing (ur going land off the ramp u went to high and to long), and your preparing your self for a big hurtful loud bang!!! next thing you know.....BANG your inside a "washing machine" like a crash test dummy with dirt and bike plastics around you, you briefly open your eyes trying to see were your going and you see your beloved bike flipping around the place like a circus acrobat, then silence , next thing you wake up in hospital.... wrists gone....collar bone , you think....im ok...ill heal but weres my bike??? hows my bike??after the usual discharge notes and checks you finally come home puzzeled....with only one thing on your mind......your bike,after asking, A ,B and C about what happened you finally get the courage to go see your bike( thanks to your mates that carried the bike to your house).....you get into the garage to analyse the damage,it stinks of petrol ( so one forgot to turn it off), handle bars gone , front forks , plastics, buckled front wheel......bended main frame!!!bended frame???? you dont mind the other damage, because its easy to get, but a bended main frame???well at least you think untill you ride again you will have plenty of time to desmantle and clean everything, and off you go changing everything.....getting new parts ,cleanning etc....now its time for the new frame something like this:
01 KTM 520 SX MXC EXC frame | eBay

you think every thing is alright now you cant wait to get back on it things are in motion now (your also running out of funds)!!!....and you also have a lot of rubbish and broken parts in your garage, so you decide to give them to the scrappy , and you wait for your "new frame".... as the frame comes.....theres no vin number???????????WTF???there you go off to the scrappy again trying to get your original bended frame back......unsuccessfully.....its already been....crushed with other aluminiums.. so now you have a frame with no vin......you only have a receipt of it and nothing else..... you try to contact the seller and the reply is....SOLD AS SEEN...GREAT!!!
this is only a possible scenario, so watch out!!
the main question is: WHAT WOULD YOU DO????
cheers

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
stamp it with your no's lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
HEHEHE good reply battleshipgrey sorry malambus but that is funny, if it doesn't get used on the road repair and use it and when you come to get rid break it and sell the bits i know you will loose a bit of money but its gone ..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the re-stamping is a good option however specific tools are necessary, as they dont come on the ordinary tool box, plus if you have to take it to a dealer for any reason , it will look suspicious why the numbers are a bit different from the original ones lol. as for the booze cruise ahahahah its always a easy and good option :).

·
Premium Member
31,407 Posts
Powdercoat the frame, will look just like the original cos you would not be able to read the numbers if you had powdercoated that!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Powdercoat the frame, will look just like the original cos you would not be able to read the numbers if you had powdercoated that!
my frame is powder coated and the mot tester wanted to fail it cos he couldnt find chassis number ,showed him reg doc and old mots to mellow him gave it a pass but said next time remove some powder coat or make a metal vin plate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why on earth did you throw any parts away before finishing your bike ??? especially the frame, jesus !
well to late now...it only makes us aware of gumtree and some ebay things ..probably its been processed into your or mines next can of beer or cola looool if worse comes to worse wen more funds available , get another one

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my frame is powder coated and the mot tester wanted to fail it cos he couldnt find chassis number ,showed him reg doc and old mots to mellow him gave it a pass but said next time remove some powder coat or make a metal vin plate.
i think for an off road bike, its not worth the assle , no mot required , powder coat it and hit it back on the track :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
well to late now...it only makes us aware of gumtree and some ebay things ..probably its been processed into your or mines next can of beer or cola looool if worse comes to worse wen more funds available , get another one
Oh, I was always taught to never throw parts away untill the project is finished ... Even then I still keep old parts for a whole just incase, you can never be to sure huh

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, I was always taught to never throw parts away untill the project is finished ... Even then I still keep old parts for a whole just incase, you can never be to sure huh
Dam right , but wen you have limited space , a car , a few haro bikes , your motorbike , car wheels and winter tyres ,bike spares, tools , paint cans , lawn mower ,strimmer , and all the usual bits and bobs that us lads keep in storage , the missus starts.....complaining wen its too much..... AHAHAHAHAH :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello?, you just answerd your own question,"make a metal plate" then it will match the one on your skull.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd try to get the frame properly stamped with the original VIN (as close to the manufacturer's VIN style/format as poss). Provided you produce proof of ownership, reg doc, etc - then you shouldn't have too much difficulty.

Leaving the frame unmarked will cause you no issues for trail/MX riding, UNTIL you come to sell-on, when everyone will assume you're either (a) a thief, or (b) a gangster... or BOTH!

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I would go back to the seller for a refund - nothing in the eBay ad saying no vin number and the photos seem to show one. Go down the 'item not as described' route with eBay and PayPal as well.

Ask the seller why what seems to be a reputable bike breaking business is selling frames with no vin numbers - big no no in uk..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts