KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how thick the friction material is on the front pads at new ? I'm trying to judge how many miles I have left in them , I've 6500 miles on the bike and there is 3.5 to 4mm left on the pads , I think there to be changed at 1mm minimum of fricition material .

Cheers for replies .

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just measured some new rear ones i've got, which were very slightly thicker then the fronts I very recently replaced, and the friction material is about 5mm. That said they're SBS not the original Brembo so there may be a difference, but I think you've got a few miles left yet (as long as the friction material doesn't de-laminate like mine did)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm still on original front pads and discs and the bike has done 43,000 miles!
What the heck? do you use your foot to stop the bike?

I don't measure it, if it is close to the metal plate of the pad I change them ;)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm still on original front pads and discs and the bike has done 43,000 miles!
WTF ............. about 20,000 miles and the fourth set!!

Allthis mud acts like grinding paste :D

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
WTF ............. about 20,000 miles and the fourth set!!

Allthis mud acts like grinding paste :D
Mud gathers behind the pistons causing the pads to gently grind away.

·
Registered
837 Posts
43000 and still on the originals ............ 20000 and on the 4th set .......... WTF's goin on here ??????????
Well, either you push your bike, or you ride like Granny on her BMW and just don't use the brakes.

Just kidding. There are a few sets of brakepads around out there. Some are "harder" and intend to sqeek, some are "softer". Then if you do offroad or not, has alot to do with. Are you mainly using your front brake or the rear has something do do with it. I basicly don't use my rear brake at all on road. Only if I 'cant make it' with the front alone I use the rear. Are you riding alot with a passenger, luggage, personal riding style and so on. There are a lot of reasons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts