KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I know this may sound like a daft question to ask, but how do you remove the front wheel on a 04 625 SMC. i have loosened the pinch bolts on either fork leg and tried to undo the wheel spindle, but all that comes undone is a cap on the end of the spindle. This can't be rocket science but does not seem to follow any logic as per any other bike i have owned or worked on.

Any tips would be more than welcome please

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Tighten the pinch bolts back up, the undo the wheel nut, then undo the pich bolts.
Take the caliper off as well ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bagman

I had done that but all that undoes is the shallow bolt on the end of the spindle. The spindle shaft remains in the fork clamps and seems to be impossible to extract.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Take the shallow bolt off, with a large flathead scewdriver gently prise the fork clamps apart then with a block of wood and a hammer....twat it!
That should do it :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
When an axle is stuck in place, I undo the bolt by a mm or two. (So theres still lots of thread contact), then give that a good solid tap with a soft mallet or hammer with a timber block for a drift once the clamps are loosened off. It usually only takes that mm or so of movement to free it up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses guys.

I think the issue here is that i have the KTM spindle protectors in and on the non brake side of the bike there is no nut to undo or grip on the spindle. No thread inside the spindle either for a nut to go into. So what i propose to do is make up a drift at work today and once the pinch bolts are loose, the spindle nut that is there is removed i will then hit the spindle with an ally drift to get it out. which sort of brings me onto my next question.

Is there a specific direction i should be hitting the spindle in order to remove it, or will it come out of either side of the bike?

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Hit it on the left (caliper side). Spindle comes out on the right

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok think i have this sorted now. i got one of the machinists at work to knock me up a steel shaft with a M24 x 1.5mm thread cut into one end of it. that should now screw into the brake side of the shaft enabling me to knock it out the other side without damaging the thread.

i will try to get pictures of everything so you can see if what i have as a spindle is usual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts