KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I need a Sat Nav for the 1190, so bearing in mind the above comments what is going to work? I want the Sat Nav to link to my phone and helmet preferably, although I can link my phone direct to my helmet and cut out the Sat Nav.
My Headset (Interphone tour) to Phone is very relaible, putting the nav in the middle is nice as I can more easily shuffle music and can use phones contact list / see who is calling....

This issue (this thread) I think is a 1 off, and Garmin did sort it out quickly.

I've had loads of issues with the Bluetooth when the twat nav is connected to both phone and helmet...regularly disconnecting which is really annoying. I've read that the issue has been around for years so jot just the 595, and TomTom's also suffer...seems to be a Bluetooth issue with multiple connections. Garmon deny there's any problem!! I usually end up connecting my phone to lid to listen to music as I never have sat nav spoken directions on anyway. The only think I miss is the speed camera sound!

Other than the Bluetooth the 595 is ok imho...but it's expensive.
+1 on all that, I sometimes despair and don't bother linking via sat-nav, cost me two speeding tickets in France last year :-(

Bluetooth was not designed to be used this way, that is the main problem, people use it to do shit it was never intended for (much cheaper than developing your own systems from scratch - and the frequency is already apporved etc.

Probably as made by Garmin for BMW but I have never used bluetooth, why would I?
Why - For all of the previously mentioned reasons, for some they don't matter, for others (like me) they are bloody useful - when they work.

Another gripe with me is bike-to-bike with everything connected, it stops the system knowing when the other person wants to chat, so if I am in front listening to music (even without using Sat-Nav) then the Mrs cannot talk to me until I witch from Music - Bike to Bike, or she overtakes waving her arms around in a right old moody after we have missed the services and she needed a pee ;-)

In some ways a 20 year old Autocom is way ahead, handles multiple channels, can mute or half mute music when speech comes across, has a decent VOX system (my Interphone is "always on" so you hear background noise from the other bike - unless listening to music at which point we lose chat until manually switching back.

Add a radio to an Autocom and you will have a much better range (and it does not get blocked by a bit of rain / leaf floating past etc) add a gay Goldwing style aerial and you will get about 3-4 miles "line of sight" and maybe a coupe of miles in town.

We did not go all Gaywing style, but could still talk at slightly longer distance "Line of sight" but more importantly if we got split up in town it did not fail as soon as one of us rounded a corner, or when on an alpine pass where the BT fails as soon as you round a hairpin and have a bit of rock between you.

Having said all that, losing the wire has been nice and fears over shit battery life have not meterialised, I could do a week of commuting to work listening to music (about 12 hours) and it would still say "Battery Medium", but I think up to @10 hours it says battery full, 10-12 hours is battery medium, and 14 hours is probably battery low, with 14 hours and 15 minutes probably being battery flat ;-)

Either way the reality is I can do two long days on tour on the headset, and it can 80% charge in 20 minutes, so a quick coffee stop gets you another 10 hours use.

Sorry, off topic from the Garmin there, but the reality is they are all shit at connecting to multiple devices to some degree and you have to use 20 year old technology to get things to just work without a degree in computer science and a lot of patience when it still randomly fucks up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
No way am I going to take phone calls whilst riding or rely on the GPS to tell me of all the right maneuvers as for listening to the MRS I ride the bike to get away from that! All I want is a GPS that allows me to put MY route in and be able to see the screen which the VI does well, just need another cradle so I can switch between bikes!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Great so that has answered my questions. Helmet connected to iPhone for calls and music, Sat Nav stand alone for emergency use only. Looks like i'm sticking with Garmin

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Probably as made by Garmin for BMW but I have never used bluetooth, why would I?
They are made by Garmin and identical except for one option and that is the BMW nav will work with the wheel on the LH handlebar but the Garmin won't. For this BMW charge twice the price of the Garmin unit.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts