KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

Having read the countless number of threads re fuel consumption on Adventure 950/990s, and being faced with potential fuel issues on our Morocco trip next month, I decided it was time for a fresh approach.

The solution is a compact, robust and attractive means of carrying an additional 6 litres of fuel without compromising the width of the bike or those all important looks!

So here it is - 'Fuel Camel'

Concept
Carry an extra 6 litres of fuel without compromising on the looks or performance. We wanted to ride anywhere and not be hampered by ‘wide-vehicle syndrome’ ie panniers and/or ugly side mounted containers. (CLICK THE PHOTO FOR EXPLODED VIEW)

Can sat on top.jpg Both cans in and map on top.jpg

In Action
Fuel Camel unloaded and loaded with Kriega US20 and first-aid kit. (CLICK THE PHOTO FOR EXPLODED VIEW)

Side rear view of unloaded rack on bike no plate covered.jpg Rear view loaded.jpg

Myself and 3 friends all have them fitted and love them.

Design
  • Lightweight aluminium construction, welded for extra strength
  • Fitting holes according to KTM Adventure 950/990 rear rack
  • Simply slide, two 2 litre standard plastic fuel cans (GetGeared for £9 ea) into the cartridge-slots provided for safe storage and quick access
  • Designed to hold an additional 2x 1 litre aluminium canisters, one on each side (fuel or oil). Not only functional, but looks great!
  • Stainless steel tie-rod ensures 2 litre cans are safely retained and acts as a fixing point for additional items eg first aid kit.
  • Top shelf enables luggage to be strapped on as per the usual extended rear rack. Here’s another improvement - the front and rear slots are larger to enable a Kriega US20 to be connected/removed in seconds - the connectors/strap retainers fit through the slots.
  • Slots nearest the seat also enable a large bottle of water to be strapped via bungee cord.
  • Weight (approx 3kg)
  • Dimensions to follow, but narrower than your indicators!
Price
An introductory price: £119 plus p&p

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Well done, nice idea, and looks pretty well excecuted.

Watch out for a Touratech copy at 3 times the price any day now.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I like it.

Probably a daft question but what's the weight with the full 6 litres of fuel?

And - what about an SE version? (slightly different hole pattern) - hence the reason for asking about the weight, the SE sub frame aint the strongets.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Personally,if off roading,i'd not want to be carrying that weight so far back due to the fear/likelihood of creating a fracture on the rear subframe. Bear in mind that not only will you be carrying the fuel(6kg) but also whatever is in the bag on the rack itself. When i carry stuff on the bike,i put it on the back seat to keep it close to myself.
I do like the idea and would probably have one for lighter stuff providing i could lock it for stuff like spare tubes and waterproofs.

Ohh,when i went to Morocco i felt no need at all to carry extra fuel.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Well done but not an original idea, here's my home made version from a year ago when I prepped my girlfriends DRZ for a 14,600 mile solo South America trip, an idea which I in turn had borrowed from Louisdut's HP2 from 2009.

I also agree with Blue re: carrying the additional weight that far back (and that high) on an aluminium subframe, hence the reason for extending the pannier frames on the DRZ forwards and fastening them to the pillion peg mount and to a lug I'd welded to the frame above the swingarm pivot, basically bracing the subframe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
borrowed from Louisdut's HP2 from 2009.

I was very impressed when I saw what Louis had done on his HP2, really neat and I am in the process of stealing the idea as well! I've got the slim fuel cans, got the pannier frames to fit the SE, I just need to modify it a bit to get the things in there .....

So far with the single exhause fitted I can only get 1 can on one side so something needs modifying on the other side before my trip to Morrocco next year

·
Registered
18 Posts
....only if its pure distilled water, and then only at a specific temperature and atmospheric pressure.
Correcto! :)
Ideally 15 degrees celcius and 1013 mb I would presume? As this is the international standard atmosphere that a few other bits and bobs are benchmarked from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts