KTM Owners Forum banner

Fuel level issues....

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  drinky 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have recently bought a lovely RC8, and think the world of her!

There is one tiny little issue with her though, and wondered if anyone could help?

When I cycle through the display option tyo show the fuel level, it constantly reads min 16 miles, max 31 miles. This never changes. If I fill the bike, the fuel light/warning light goes out, and it does not show the fuel pump picture, until it actually gets low, then the warning light does come on, the pump picture lights up, and the min does drop.

Any ideas what problem this could be, as I initially thought it would be the fuel level senson, however, it obviously reads something to put all the warnings out, and to only count down from 16 when it does get low.

Alternatively, is it meant to show the min 16 all the time, and so basically gives you a 10% warning?

Thanks guys...

James.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yup, probably the least useful feature on the dash, basically as bonehead says once the fuel light comes on it just counts down.... bears no relation to what you can actualy get out of what's left. when the fuel light isn't on it just sits there and cluters up the dash display.

Just fill it up as soon as the light comes on, and enjoy it :)

#7 ·
Thank you so much guys! Oddly I rang a KTM dealer in Didcott, my nearest but still an hour away, and they told me I'd need to come in for a full diagnostic check and would probably need to leave the bike with them for a day or two! Really glad I checked on here first!

Just fill it up as soon as the light comes on, and enjoy it :)
Oh I am certainly enjoying her!!!

#5 ·
I commute on mine, so the warning lights a good indicator that you need to get fuel soon.. I reckon you need to work on a maximum of 15 miles once the light comes on. If you really pootled about then you might get more, but you don't want to get stranded so it's not worth trying in my experience.

I pushed mine for a mile one time when I'd forgot to reconnect the plug under the tank that sends the low fuel information and I'm telling you, even though it's a relatively light bike, it's fucking heavy when you have to push it for half a mile up hill! Nearly killed me.... Since then, I'm very careful to make sure I don't run out.... :redface:

#6 ·
Yeah, I have to admit to never really looking at the 'countdown' just fill up asap after the fuel light comes on or if I'm passing a garage around the 90 miles mark from last filling up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.