KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of questions -
Bike is 2002 EXC 400.

The fuel caps, do they all leak? Mine has a accerbis one on and if full (not brimming) and on side stand it starts to leak. Also when dropped, it p***es out. Are any better than others?

Also when bought my bike I think the chap said that the tank and seat were from a later model? Do they all fit? Main reason I ask is because the tank is a 8.5ltr one with no reserve, and would love to change it for one that is a bit larger, and preferably with reserve on the tap, but don't know if all years fit all or what the difference is?
Ta
Paul

Also here is a pic of bike that may help someone identify my tank/seat?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
tank should not leak when it falls over. your non return valve thingy must be US. can't help with tank sizes

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the caps should have a non return valve in then?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
in the breather pipe i believe. maybe the seal in the cap has been disloged. mine comes out slightly sometimes

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mm that maybe it then, as there is no breather pipe on. So maybe I just need a breather pipe!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
looks very much like my 2005 model. if you look at the top of the cap there is as little bit sticking out. that should have a pipe on it with the valve in. or you can buy the short little stuby ones that just fit on top, but i can see from your pic there is nothing on there. i was on the phone before so did not look at pic. (forum is too slow on a phone).
by the way why does it not have reserve? mine does. the tape sould turn all the way to the other side for reserve. if it goes dry in the 'on' position it doesn't have the filter/reserve cage thingy inside the tank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for replying. Yep no reserve on the tap, only does 1/4 turn stop to stop. Did wander about putting different tap in, but wasn't sure if they all same thread. Do you have the 8.5ltr then with reserve tap on? How many miles do you get roughly before reserve and after?

Cheers again. Maybe I will get away with buying a breather pipe and new fuel tap. :)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
out trail riding i can do over 60 miles (been a while since i green laned though) and racing i can do 2hrs but on a very fast track i might go onto reserve on the last lap.

lets see this week i used it to work to run it in. 26 miles each way and i managed one day and then went onto reserve on the way bacl the next day. so about 80 miles on a very light throttle.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Thats on 03 onwards SX tank. The reserve tap wont fit cos it fouls the choke/hotstart hole.... you can see that from your photo!!

There is no need for a one way valve, these cause tank pressurisation issues in summer and freeze up in winter. You need a cap that fits the tank properly and has an effective seal on it. Pull the cap apart, you may find a ball inside that needs throwing away, as you reassemble you need to check the seal is intact.
Then fit a breather hose that is long enough to run from the cap up in the air then down onto the grey elbow screwed into the frame under where the throttle cables pass.

That will cure the leak.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats on 03 onwards SX tank. The reserve tap wont fit cos it fouls the choke/hotstart hole.... you can see that from your photo!!

There is no need for a one way valve, these cause tank pressurisation issues in summer and freeze up in winter. You need a cap that fits the tank properly and has an effective seal on it. Pull the cap apart, you may find a ball inside that needs throwing away, as you reassemble you need to check the seal is intact.
Then fit a breather hose that is long enough to run from the cap up in the air then down onto the grey elbow screwed into the frame under where the throttle cables pass.

That will cure the leak.
Thanks for the advise (again) Kev, I will have a look at the cap and see what is/isn't happening, and see if I can get a long breather hose to go where you say.
Damn shame about not being able to put a reserve tap on my tank though, could put up with the size if I could have a reserve on it. Have run out couple of times now, would be nice to have some extra warning.
Do you know if I can fit any size/age tank to my bike then?
Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts