KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if this is common with the majority of 8s or whether it's a fault on mine (don't worry, it's nothing much :D)

Whenever the bike's standing out in the rain, or has been washed, despite drying it off with a chamois, I get water 'blown out' from under the fuel filler cap. It really pisses me off because it runs down the top and sides of the tank leaving water marks all over it.

The water obvioulsy gets underneath the fuel filler cap and is, I assume, supposed to drain out through the hose located under there, however it just sits in the hose and 'whatever' causes it to blow back out of the hole once the bike's on the move. I've even gone to the length of trying to dry it out with cotton buds, bits of tissue and my wife's hairdrier but as I can't dry the full length on the inside of the hose it still f'kin does it. I've even ridden with kitchen towel taped over the top of it to stop it, lol

To-date, there's been no evidence that the fuel gets contaminated with the water. But it does my pissin swede in... wash and dry bike, all looks prestine, ride off to meet the lads for a rideout... arrive with white stains all over the tank... doesn't look good does it? :redface: PMSL

·
Registered
53 Posts
i get that too FT. opening the cap and drying it with towel still doesnt get all the water out for mine.
water still comes out after every wash when riding even @ 100mph+ for a mile or 2. it certainly is annoying :(

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have the same problem as well, I just ignore it, although on the matt black it shows, had another bike that done the same but cant remember what it was,

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
although on the matt black it shows
Yeah, it was when I switched to a black tank that it really started bugging me. Didn't show up as much on the orange one.

So it's common then. Ah well.

Is the drain hose blocked?? (Mine does it too by the way, though I'm never really that fussed..)
Problem, I think, is that there's never much to drain and gravity just doesn't do it's thing

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It probably does it on mine but it's a White tank so generally I don't notice it.... At least I havnt yet but now I clearly will :(

cheers FT, it's a service you provide you know! ;)

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only for the first 20 minutes of the ride mate, lol

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PMSL :rotflmao:

Also tried sticking duck tape over the filler cap when washing the bike but the water still gets through somehow. Kin sh*t bikes, lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
U ever tried not washing it...works well for me!!!:redface:

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep mine to its annoying but the thing i don't get ft is you go out riding????:rotflmao:
not round yorkshire;)
No mate, I don't even have an RC8 ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
the water gets stuck in ya tank drain hose , then when u ride the wind forces the water back up the hose that sticks out the bottom of ya fairing ,i poked the hose into the belly fairing and faced the hose towards the back of the bike so it vacumes the water out the bottom and not out the top over my nice matt black tank on me R :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is just a theory. Both the vent lines run back under the tail of the bike into a box which looks like it allows the tank to vent back into itself until pressure builds to much at which time the vapour is released through an opening in said box. I'm guessing this pressure that returns to the tank is what pushes the water out. Again just a theory.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the water gets stuck in ya tank drain hose , then when u ride the wind forces the water back up the hose that sticks out the bottom of ya fairing ,i poked the hose into the belly fairing and faced the hose towards the back of the bike so it vacumes the water out the bottom and not out the top over my nice matt black tank on me R :D
Cheers for that Virus, I'll have a nosey at weekend (instead of riding the bike on the same roads that Spanwah does, lol)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts