KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a suggestion for somewhere I can get some work done on an SMT fuel tank?

It's off the bike and dry at the moment as I bought it as a spare, it's taken some damage to one of the sides on the edge just above where the side panel bolts on, guessing it took some scraping and the previous owner tried to touch in the paint but picked the wrong orange.

So I'm looking for recommendations on somewhere that could strip the paint back, make any repairs necessary, then repaint in ktm orange for me - preferably as close to the Midlands as possible, I don't mind travelling a little bit but it's a bit big to post.

cheers & happy 2021 all :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Haven't done anything paint for a while but I used to use Dream Machine. They are in Derby I believe but I was never really sure because they used to collect and deliver to my door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did wonder about getting it wrapped but I've always heard that the wrap material isn't resistant to petrol so was worried about me being a messy filler :)

Not sure if it'll show up but I've tried to get a photo of the damage:

orangeTank.jpg

The bad respray area is about 8 inches long, and goes from around 3 inches above the line where the side panel bolts on, down to level with the main tank bolt hole.. as far as I can tell there isn't any dents or punctures in the tank, just bad paint that has bubbled up in a couple of places.

Don't really mind about the bit that's hidden by the side panel, but the part that is visible in use is really noticible, not just by the colour difference but by the finish of the paint as well. Not sure if it could be just repainted over the bad area and matched in, or if I'd need to get the whole tank re-sprayed.. or what that'd cost even.

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
I did wonder about getting it wrapped but I've always heard that the wrap material isn't resistant to petrol so was worried about me being a messy filler :)

Not sure if it'll show up but I've tried to get a photo of the damage:

View attachment 37048

The bad respray area is about 8 inches long, and goes from around 3 inches above the line where the side panel bolts on, down to level with the main tank bolt hole.. as far as I can tell there isn't any dents or punctures in the tank, just bad paint that has bubbled up in a couple of places.

Don't really mind about the bit that's hidden by the side panel, but the part that is visible in use is really noticible, not just by the colour difference but by the finish of the paint as well. Not sure if it could be just repainted over the bad area and matched in, or if I'd need to get the whole tank re-sprayed.. or what that'd cost even.
Doesn't look that bad, rub down and fuel proof respray job. Ive never used paint stripper on plastic so you'd need to experiment with one that doesn't damage plastic. You could contact Acerbis tech department, they made the tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts