KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest has just outfitted his garage with some "Duramat" plastic floor tiles and given me a severe case of floor envy.

Anybody on here had experience of them .... or similar ?.

On the face of it (once you set aside the price premium over paint) they seem like a good option - quick, easy, durable

Am I missing something ?.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always wondered how practical tiles actually are? What if you knock over a jug of brake fluid/oil/other greasy fluids?

A painted floor is easily rectified but not sure how the tiles would cope with all the joins and cracks for fluid to seep into?

Nicer for kneeling or standing on though and good in the colder weather too I imagine.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Based on I bought and fitted such and still have them.

The good news.

Easy to fit and nice warm.

Bad News

Leave a bike parked on them and fuck me takes forever for them to spring back, heaven forbid if you used a center stand, and a really mother to push a bike around on them.

Ended up put a thin layer of ply over the lot,nice and warm and center/paddock stands sit nicely on the ply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fitted the thicker 7mm ones in my garage last year and so far really pleased with them. The thicker ones have a smooth finish rather than chequer or raised disks so easier to clean.
D19A7371-44F1-478A-9714-37F809A93B00.jpeg

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I fitted rubber flooring from Machine Mart which is smart - they do smooth and ribbed rolls at a good price - I got the ribbed and you can only brush clean in one direction. Should have got the smooth. But got an old hoover to do the job.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Had a large double garage built and 2 retaining walls and the floor were poured concrete. Powered floated the floor so looked lovely until I painted it with decent floor paint that unfortunately does not stick to a smooth floor. It did say so on the tin but only read after it had started to lift and peel😢

·
Registered
177 Posts
Had a large double garage built and 2 retaining walls and the floor were poured concrete. Powered floated the floor so looked lovely until I painted it with decent floor paint that unfortunately does not stick to a smooth floor. It did say so on the tin but only read after it had started to lift and peel😢
That’s a bummer, frustrating when you go above and beyond to do a really nice job on something and one of the elements let’s you down.
Did you overcoat with something else or leave as is?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You can't beat Stable Mats they last for years

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Ref smooth floor above, you need to acid etch the floor first.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes I will have to do something like the acid etch - might help get the remaining paint off too.
I was then going to do a coat of PVA.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
You can't beat Stable Mats they last for years

not far off the same price for what I paid. !! look good (y)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered the stuff - 240 tiles, corners, ramps etc = £1500

Smooth finish, Graphite Grey (I did consider Orange - but reckon I'd need sunglasses !)

.............. Fingers crossed !

·
Registered
89 Posts
Got square industrial carpet tiles in mine. Only been down 4 weeks so can't comment on longevity

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Got square industrial carpet tiles in mine. Only been down 4 weeks so can't comment on longevity
Me too, but left the section the bikes park on as painted floor, best of both worlds, almost - the paint tends to get scuffed off and will peel a bit now and again and require an occasional touch up.

I bought a load of used office tiles and have enough spares to redo entire floor, so as the ones by the side door wear out quicker I can just replace them, or any others I spill shit on.

Thinking to use a Horse Matt on the area the bikes park on rather than keep buying floor paint and the aggro of touching it up again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My youngest has just outfitted his garage with some "Duramat" plastic floor tiles and given me a severe case of floor envy.

Anybody on here had experience of them .... or similar ?.

On the face of it (once you set aside the price premium over paint) they seem like a good option - quick, easy, durable

Am I missing something ?.
I used a badass epoxy floor coating on my 4k sq ft floor. 2 part but nothing like the crap big home stores sell. It has been down for 3 years and I've weldrd, used a acetylene torch,plasma cutter and even drug engine hoist sideways across it and it didn't even mar it up. Www.warrenpaint.com in Nashville tn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts