KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wondered if I could pick your brains please.... I’m going to buy my first enduro bike later today (very excited!) I want to do trails and lanes, but will have to ride there on the road. I have no clue what gear to get! I’ve always had road bikes so have zero enduro or dual sport experience. What gear is best for me to use? Mx helmet with goggles or adventure helmet with built in visor? Mx under armour with a Mx jersey or adventure jacket with built in armour? Mx Trousers with external armour or adventure trousers with built in armour? I think boots will be obvious as I’m guessing enduro boots with a hard sole make sense. And finally use Mx gloves. With the road sections I’ll want to be protected (like on a regular bike) but then In the trails Ill want protection from branches, stones and fall offs! Any help would be greatly received! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
Hello Peter,

Good work on getting your first enduro bike.

I would advise -

A decent off road lid (with the important sticker on the back for road legality, not a strictly 'mx' helmet)

Goggles (better than an adv lid as you will get better ventilation and it will be cheaper to replace goggle lenses than a visor)

MX type gloves (although l have used the 'mechanix imapact' for years and rate them)

Alpinestars 'biobic' armour suit

Mx jersey

Knox knee armour

Textile 'over the boot trousers'
(MX trews if really hot)

Gaerne SG12 boots (pricey but good protection)

When it gets cold, a light snowboarding type jacket over the armour.

A hydrapack.

Tools to fix a flat tyre / 21 inch tube. Other tools of choice.

You can spend a shed load on gear, but its not necessary (aside from boots and lid imo)

Army goretex over trousers and jacket are very good. Lightweight, cheap and very waterproof.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Welcome. You are about to start spending lots of money frequently but every penny is worth it.

Don’t stress too much on gear to start with. A quality helmet with ACU gold sticker is important as are boots that are comfy and help protect ankles. I’ve medium to narrow feet and ankles. Alpinestars fit very well for me.

A basic set of Wulf Sport MX shirt and trousers will do to start with. You can buy more trick kit later when you have a better idea of what you actually need.

Hydration with water before and during riding is probably the best tip. It helps everything. A dry brain and blood like yoghurt will lead to accidents. Cardio fitness helps a shed load.

Where are you based?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. You are about to start spending lots of money frequently but every penny is worth it.

Don’t stress too much on gear to start with. A quality helmet with ACU gold sticker is important as are boots that are comfy and help protect ankles. I’ve medium to narrow feet and ankles. Alpinestars fit very well for me.

A basic set of Wulf Sport MX shirt and trousers will do to start with. You can buy more trick kit later when you have a better idea of what you actually need.

Hydration with water before and during riding is probably the best tip. It helps everything. A dry brain and blood like yoghurt will lead to accidents. Cardio fitness helps a shed load.

Where are you based?
Thank you for your knowledge. I’m Based in Shropshire.hopefully there are other members in here that can share their local lanes knowledge with me so I can start to go out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts