KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 250 exc 2stroke, and am running a Rekluse z-start pro. Recently I have notice that the warmer the bike gets the more resistance is encountered when changing gear. The bike has done under 40 hours, and is mainly used in H&H events, at, shall we say a competitive pace, but does not want for anything maintenance wise.

I am wondering could it be expansion in the components in the gearbox making them feel tight, and could this be due to me not having the larger Rekluse clutch casing ? I run Motorex speed 4t oil, 10-40, if my memory is correct !

Any ideas as to how I can try to find a cure ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just check the bike now its cold and gear change seems fine. Does a Rekluse need more oil than the standard clutch ?

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Just check the bike now its cold and gear change seems fine. Does a Rekluse need more oil than the standard clutch ?
No.

Does it change up OK? No need for clutch, just close the throttle a little bit to take load off the gears. Similar changing down, but do it at much lower revs so the Rekluse is not biting as hard. You have to take the load off the gears, though.... not engine braking or accelerating.

Have you got a clutch lever or LHRB?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kev, big thanks for your reply. Yes we have still have the clutch lever, no LHRB, just use the standard rear brake pedal.

The resistance in changing down seems to be when the bike gets warmed up. No event next weekend so thinking of stripping the rekluse down and checking for wear or damage.

Bike engages gear from stand still without any major clunking. Did I read somewhere that a rekluse can be adjusted from the slave cylinder side ?

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
I do the fine tuning by putting washers under the slave spring to increase engagement speed or extra slave gaskets to reduce. But if it is engaging at the correct speed then it wont be the clutch to blame.

You do need to let the revs die of quite a bit, then change down.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kev, my son rides it and without blowing his trumpet, he has been doing well lately, riding the bike to his limit has perhaps made him too eager to change down.

As I said before, the bike lacks nothing both mechanically or cosmetically, so when he reported his concerns about the gear change tightening, I needed to get it checked, but didnt know where to start.

Do you have any opinions on the Rekluse Core EXP, wonderingif it is better than the Z start Pro ?

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
The pro is better than the xp in my opinion for general enduro/trail riding. For me the xp isnt worth the extra and it drags more but you can fine tune the xp better than the pro.

Check install gap but other than that take it out and check the plates, somethings not quite right because it shouldnt do that with the clutch in.

Mark.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
give me a bell tomorrow 07791 360607 and we can talk about it, its easier than trying to explain it typing and you can tell me whats happening. I still have a lot of rekluse spares here.

Mark.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I was sorry to see that Rekluse appointed a larger trade dealer. I know it make business sense, but how many of their staff know the technicals of such a good product.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Thanks. I was sorry to see that Rekluse appointed a larger trade dealer. I know it make business sense, but how many of their staff know the technicals of such a good product.
NONE!!!!!!!!! but they have been on a training course apparently. I'm still getting clutches regardless from the states same as niknak was so it hasnt really made mcuh difference just not direct as before.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats good to know Mark. When I have had bits off you previously the advice given and speed of delivery was superb.

We will do business again, I'm sure !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts