KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently fitted a 16T front sprocket and like the improvements although not perfect. I was thinking of changing the rear sprocket also and noticed that Renthal do a 40T for the RC. Does anyone have experience of this combination of gearing? Would it be too much etc. I'm not worried about losing top end, but would like plenty of acceleration without lifting the front all the time.
Any thoughts?
Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I bought my bike it was running 17-39 and felt pretty good.
I bought a 16 front (at this point I didn't know the previous owner had put on the 39) and the bike felt a bit gutless.
If you search the posts you should find a RC8 gearing chart I posted sometime back.
I went back to the 17-39 by the way and am very happy.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
fitting a 16t and 40t at the same time, i guarantee you will hate it. absolutely gutless. everybodys got their own opinion of coarse

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Why gutless? I would have thought that gearing would give good acceleration but limit the top end?
i cant answer that question, but it is how it felt to me

·
Registered
231 Posts
I´m running 15 front, standard in the back. Works great for track, haven´t been out on the road with it yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been running standard 17-37 since I bought the 8, but every KTM I've owned needed downgearing. Currently got a 40T on order, hopefully fit it this weekend and see how it goes.

Going 16-40 will probably go close to maxing out your chain adjusters. I went to a bigger rear sprocket to shorten the wheelbase and make the most of the gearing without having to fiddle with dropping links out of the chain...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I currently have 16/37. I only mentioned the 40 rear because that was the only one I found for it on a quick surf. Perhaps going 16/38 may give a little more without compromise. I see Renthal do 38/39 and 40.
Good point on chain adjustment with the 40. Might just go for a 16/38 combo and hope it doesnt get gutless as has been mentioned. However, if it does give me a bit extra, its a relatively cheap (£35) improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts