KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned my Gen3 for around 8 months now, just under 2000 miles and I've encountered a few things which aren't really issues but stuff that I think other riders need to be aware of, basically a little heads up.

1. The gear linkage on the spline can work loose, some loctite and retorquing sorted that one
2. If you fit the evotech tail tidy the plate light wires are the wrong way around, i.e. black to white, white to black
3. The pillion seat release cable has recently started to pop out of the plastic housing making it inoperable, I've fixed this with a dab of glue from the hot glue gun to hold the cable in the holder
4. I've had a knocking/clunking sensation on the front end, it was noticeable under braking which made me believe it was discs, but then I noticed it was happening anytime more recently, but only over certain bumps. Upon investigation the headstock bearings needing a quick nip up, something I wouldn't expect so early on in ownership

Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got that same knocking clunking in my front end under braking so thanks for pointing that out, I just thought it was something wrong with the front suspension set up but I'll check these bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Am looking to buy the 2021 Gen 3 . What was the cause of that electrical fire and is it a known issue.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
It was the 2020 Bikes and was a known issue there was a recall new Bikes should be OK! :whistle:
Problem with Cable routing from Reg/Rec in Sub Frame :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks PH. All the test reviews i read rave on about the midrange torque, yet on this site i see a few complaining it seems flat or lacking in midrange, what gives. it is overhyped by the paid test reviewers or... ??

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have a Gen2 so I don't have any experience on the Gen3 but I think it's down to EU Emissions Bull:poop: thats decreasing overall Performance U need to Test Ride one B4 U buy one :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nothing to see hear from me, all good on the new bike after a year. One small point of interest worth mentioning is the 8k I've lost over 12 months in value by trading in my rc8r and gen 2 for the new bike but that's no a no brainer in my world :unsure:

·
Registered
16,257 Posts
I had a test ride on a Gen 3 and did a back back comparison on my current Gen 1. Granted mine is modded but it felt significantly faster than the Gen 3, wild in fact. The Gen 3 riding position was more Tuono like, higher pegs and more canted forward. The suspension felt rock hard, definitely sharper but I could only think it was track focused

It was about £10k to change with less spec and honestly if you had a go on both you’d buy mine hands down. I’d really like to ride an equivalent one in terms of mods (full Akrapovic etc.) but I got back on my bike and there was no way I was changing it AND give them £10k, I wouldn’t have actually straight swapped it !

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
they are a great bike , ..................if you don't ride it back to back with the first 2 generations . which I could , I know again with the blah blah , but thats why, out of the three mister gen 3 had to go and I don't miss it tbh , I have to agree with wazza regarding the riding position , its too sporty for my old bones

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
The problem here is KTM are chasing Ducati and Aprilia customers, so have gone mad on electronic gizmo's over the years, paired with a more aggressive riding position. It's not what we want as an aging consumer. KTM; we, your loyal customers who love the Gen1,2 SDR think you are going down the wrong avenue. Look at Triumph, their Speed Triple hasn't been the most powerful bike over the years, but it has a loyal following. Why? because it's just a sweet handling nice bike to ride. You really have to go like stink to shake one off. So people buy them and enjoy them. All the Gen2 needed was the lower Gen1 weight and quality suspension. Which if you strip it back again, all the Gen 1 needed was a new headlight and quality suspension.
Is it correct they haven't even put tail pack loops under the pillion seat on the Gen3, morons. And, sorry but the Gen3 tank just looks out of proportion.
Like an armadillo on wheels.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The problem here is KTM are chasing Ducati and Aprilia customers, so have gone mad on electronic gizmo's over the years, paired with a more aggressive riding position. It's not what we want as an aging consumer. KTM; we, your loyal customers who love the Gen1,2 SDR think you are going down the wrong avenue. Look at Triumph, their Speed Triple hasn't been the most powerful bike over the years, but it has a loyal following. Why? because it's just a sweet handling nice bike to ride. You really have to go like stink to shake one off. So people buy them and enjoy them. All the Gen2 needed was the lower Gen1 weight and quality suspension. Which if you strip it back again, all the Gen 1 needed was a new headlight and quality suspension.
Is it correct they haven't even put tail pack loops under the pillion seat on the Gen3, morons. And, sorry but the Gen3 tank just looks out of proportion.
Like an armadillo on wheels.
Have to disagree about the speed triple. Had one. Far too harsh for a road bike. A lot firmer than the gen 3 superduke. Not nearly as exciting as a big V twin and it was cramped and uncomfortable. Of course that is just my opinion. Triumph are like Iphones, they dont want you to mess with anything, the bikes are not practical. Don't give you torque settings, tell you not to touch the rear preload, no tool kits, no under seat storage, no power feeds for accessories and boring paint options. Not to mention no separate wheelie control! You cant have fun unless you disable the very intrusive TC, then it defaults to on every time you start it. It reminds me like something designed by a focus group. I've been a huge Triumph fan for many years and owned nothing else. Switching to KTM was like seeing the light! If you want the best Triumph has to offer, buy a Street Triple.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I keep thinking the Gen 3 is an itch I need to scratch. So I had one again on a test ride last week, the itch has now totally gone.

Firstly I can`t get on with the riding position, but I am a "Mature" rider. Switch gear, Yeuch.

It also felt quite "Lame", my Gen 1 has been tweaked (165hp at the rear wheel) so it was difficult to compare but it still felt a bit emasculated. I know Euro 5.

Overall it handled better if slightly harsher than mine.

Not a full review, just my thoughts.

Conclusion, keeping my Gen 1.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts