KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing sinister here. My elderly neighbour has a penchant for old MG’s. He has seen a car that looks dumped and would like to adopt it but needs to know who the owner is.

Reactions: Miner

·
Administrator
8,616 Posts
Maybe write to the DVLA?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not a chance in hell, thankfully. Data protection act. DVLA will only tell you if it has a registered keeper.
Councils can remove it (even on private land), and under law, they can dispose of it any way they like, including selling it to your friend for the cost of them removing it. They usually send them to auction or scrap though. Your mate might want to talk to them. Or put a letter on the window in case the owner see's it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's probably worth getting in touch with the M.G.Owners Club. Most of those clubs have contacts that can use official channels to find out all sorts.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Not a chance in hell, thankfully. Data protection act. DVLA will only tell you if it has a registered keeper.
Councils can remove it (even on private land), and under law, they can dispose of it any way they like, including selling it to your friend for the cost of them removing it. They usually send them to auction or scrap though. Your mate might want to talk to them. Or put a letter on the window in case the owner see's it.
A mate of mine used to do council pickups of abandoned cars and often would end up with them, some were dumped with keys in and he even had some go straight through an MOT, typically they were utter rubbish though and just got weighed in for scrap.

The leave a note if a great idea, as is calling the council - he can report it as looking dumped and express an interest in it, if the council is half decent they might just pass on the offer when they track down the culprit, or make whoever they engage with to remove it aware of your mates interest, or they might be utter tosspots and not engage with him at all and have it collected and crushed.

Note is best bet, just watch out for scamming tosspots finding the note and trying to flog him a car they don't own ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If he thinks it’s abandoned he can attempt to claim the vehicle by filling in a v62 form and sending to DLVa
I think they Attempt to contact the last registered keeper To confirm status of vehicle
It can take a few weeks though

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you collide with it you can apply for the owners details.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Don't you know any cops .... they will sort it

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Get in touch with a bent parking company - they get parking offenders details for a small fee from DVLA. Lots abuse this for other purposes. Date Protection my arse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If he thinks it’s abandoned he can attempt to claim the vehicle by filling in a v62 form and sending to DLVa
I think they Attempt to contact the last registered keeper To confirm status of vehicle
It can take a few weeks though
Can you claim if vehicle is on private property? (abandoned)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts