KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a small collision with a car on Saturday, I am reconsidering putting my GoPro back on my bike. I took it off a few years ago after getting stopped by the rozzos - luckily I had time to hide it in my bag before he noticed and it never went back on! I've used it on my pushbike (no hate please for being a cyclist)! LOL and it was really good in capturing knobs on the road who were driving dangerously close or abusive.

So my question is, "Do I put it back on the bike, or do I look for an alternative device to record journeys?" If I am honest, I do find the GoPro a bit faffy. I know it wasn't made for this purpose, so I'd appreciate any suggestions and thoughts please?

Pin on Wizard of Oz ~ Oh My!

;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know probably an expensive option if you’ve already got a go pro but there’s a bike specific front/rear camera (sorry I can’t remember the name of the brand) that you hardwire into the battery, run the wires under the tank/seat cowl and the actual lens part of the camera is discrete enough to not shout ‘I’m filming you’ and can be positioned out of the way potentially near the yolks or beside the cowl.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know probably an expensive option if you’ve already got a go pro but there’s a bike specific front/rear camera (sorry I can’t remember the name of the brand) that you hardwire into the battery, run the wires under the tank/seat cowl and the actual lens part of the camera is discrete enough to not shout ‘I’m filming you’ and can be positioned out of the way potentially near the yolks or beside the cowl.
Thanks very much this. If I decide to change, I can always sell the GoPro. I am getting the USB _power outlet kit fitted so I could have something plugged into this. Plus if this system is fitted in, I wont have to worry about taking the camera off and on all the time.(y)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why did you have to hide the camera?
Loads of cars now come with built in video recorders
[/QUO
Why did you have to hide the camera?
Loads of cars now come with built in video recorders
I was worried they would use some previous footage of me washing my bike in a bikini, against me in court! ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got a helmet with built in camera and Comms. It's a Sena Momentum Pro. They are not available outside the US, so you have to pay the extra import and shipping cost. I think it cost just over £600, but it's really convenient and easy to use, none of the Pfaff with go pro and communications stuff attached to the outside of your helmet. You just charge the helmet. I've got a 64gb class 10 micro SD card in it which is loads of storage. Quality is good. No optical image stabilisation though.
You can wirelessly transfer the vids to a smartphone. Although the app isn't that great, and does not work on my phone (HTC U11), but it works on all my mates. Typical.
The helmet is DOT approved, not ACU or kitemarked.

Pricy but good.

Otherwise the SJCam5000 is an excellent GoPro alternative, without the cost.

I feel that on bike cameras don't always capture things because events can happen off to the side where your are looking. So helmet mounted/integrated seems best.

The smart helmet is an expanding sector. I'm sure many companies are developing fancy systems now, so expect a lot to hot the market over the next few years. There is the Australian company, Forcite with a product to market right now. But they are even more money. Probably brilliant though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have an Innovv K5, just leave it on and forget. Rubbish sound though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That Innovv K5 sounds a good system.

Forgot to say, my helmet can wipe the SD card by holding a button down for 10 seconds. Useful feature of there is 'private data' in your footage that you need to delete before a third party can requisition it.

Here is a full resolution grab of the quality:

Tire Sky Wheel Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got a helmet with built in camera and Comms. It's a Sena Momentum Pro. They are not available outside the US, so you have to pay the extra import and shipping cost. I think it cost just over £600, but it's really convenient and easy to use, none of the Pfaff with go pro and communications stuff attached to the outside of your helmet. You just charge the helmet. I've got a 64gb class 10 micro SD card in it which is loads of storage. Quality is good. No optical image stabilisation though.
You can wirelessly transfer the vids to a smartphone. Although the app isn't that great, and does not work on my phone (HTC U11), but it works on all my mates. Typical.
The helmet is DOT approved, not ACU or kitemarked.

Pricy but good.

Otherwise the SJCam5000 is an excellent GoPro alternative, without the cost.

I feel that on bike cameras don't always capture things because events can happen off to the side where your are looking. So mounted/integrated seems best.

The smart helmet is an expanding sector. I'm sure many companies are developing fancy systems now, so expect a lot to hot the market over the next few years. There is the Australian company, Forcite with a product to market right now. But they are even more money. Probably brilliant though.
Really appreciate that. Thanks 😊

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That Innovv K5 sounds a good system.

Forgot to say, my helmet can wipe the SD card by holding a button down for 10 seconds. Useful feature of there is 'private data' in your footage that you need to delete before a third party can requisition it.

Here is a full resolution grab of the quality:

View attachment 41840
Yeah that function interests me a lot and this sounds like a good system. 👍

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not good for reg grabbing? cant see the rover in front tho
It's not too bad. If you go through frame by frame, you'll get it as long as you're close enough. The integrated solution is a compromise in that you are tied to the tech in your helmet, and you don't have many consumer options. My SJcam 4000 and 5000's are better from memory, but so much more hassle. Swings and roundabouts. OIS would be nice.

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2019 ktm superduke r & 2015 kwak z1000
75 Posts
Am also interested in this post as considering a camera of some description as I commute in better weather on the zed and the sights I see on the motorway some days are shocking! Especially went your a filtering fiend like me 😱

1 - 20 of 23 Posts