KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we can no longer get Goldspeeds what are you using?

I have a 2019 690 SMCR and not that keen on the OEM tyres, I had more confidence in the Goldspeed Cut Slicks I had on my 09 690.

Back end slid out on me a couple of times last weekend, so considering something else. I don't do huge miles so longevity is not an issue. Grip is more important.

Ideas please, and yes I know we are not supposed to be out on bikes at the moment but I sometimes still have to go into our office which requires the use of the Moto :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Got the same bike, and the Battlax are ok I guess, but will be going to Maxxis when the fitters open. Had Maxxis M6029 Supermaxx on my 640 and they never let me down.
Soft tyre, grippy, so don't expect long life.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was having a clear out of my shed, I found a set of nearly new Goldspeed Street Sport Ultras that I am gonna fit. I changed these for the cut slicks as I was doing more track riding. They still 'seem' ok and are soft so gonna get them fitted and use for a few months.

What about Pirelli Supercorsas, anyone used these ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeh I’ve tried the conti’s they were really nice. Loads of grip, and they are soft that’s for sure.
For me I’m still running and loving Michelin pilot power 2ct. Great grip, last a bit longer and I love the feedback from the tyre. They have been my go to for years now.
You can get a set of pilot powers for £120 (£180 for 2ct) these days which is an absolute bargain.
For more of a track day tyre you can use on the road I’d try some power rs. I had them on a gixxer 600 and they are awesome, no doubt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know it’s a contentious subject and everyone has their own opinion about their favourite tyres but for me I didn’t like the supercorsas. Definitely a popular tyre but for me they take a bit longer to get heat in them then a power rs or pilot power. They also have a stiffer sidewall which I don’t find gives as good feedback as the Michelin’s. I feel like the power rs has more grip too

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I know it’s a contentious subject and everyone has their own opinion about their favourite tyres but for me I didn’t like the supercorsas.
Same. Hate that tyre. Found it dangerous and unpredictable. Son swore by them until the rear gave out at ~25mph on a bend and chucked him off.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for info all, had a look at the Michelin Power RS but doesn't look like they come in a 160 rear. They look decent as well.

May go for the new ContiAttack SM EVO, seems to be pretty soft and heat up quickly on mid weight bikes like the 690.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so I now have a set of ContiAttack SM EVO. What pressures are people running. Pretty sure I ran my Goldspeeds at 26 rear 24 front.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Contiattack SM get a good crack. Anyone used those?
That's my "goto" summer tyre - love 'em.

For whats it's worth one of my main criteria a "lightweight" tyre that warms up quickly under the lower loads that a SM dishes out. For me, mainstream sports bike tyres are generally too heavily constructed for a supermoto, they work fine, but it can take 20 or 30 miles to get them fully warmed up - that's a long ride for me on my 'SMC.

The other thing I like to do is run wets in the autumn / spring - its great to be able to ride at 80% straight from the get go, you're not as scared by unexpected damp roads and it's actually quite satisfying to be able to feel them "moving" when you get a wriggle on.

·
Registered
513 Posts
ok so I now have a set of ContiAttack SM EVO. What pressures are people running. Pretty sure I ran my Goldspeeds at 26 rear 24 front.
Sounds about right. (I'm using 25/28 - but still on wets at the mo pending lockdown release)

I generally adjust the front in particular to give "neutral" steering at lean (too low and the bike oversteers, too high it understeers). I also tend to have to increase pressures 1 or 2 psi as the tyre wears to maintain this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to run 26f 28r when I had the conti’s on, i wouldn’t go any lower than 26 on the front. After getting a professional suspension setup they recommended 28f 30r for the pilot powers I’m now running for the road

1 - 18 of 18 Posts