KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Oregon Scientific ATC2K helmet cam, but thinking about upgrading to the GoPro series. The helmet attachment looks much better on the GoPro.

Does anybody have any experience of the GoPro helmet camera products? I see that you can get the wideangle (170 degrees) for less than half the price of the new HD version.

Are they any good? Will the cheaper one (£130) do the trick or is the HD really worth £300.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The go pros are good cameras but the wide angle on distorts the horizon, it makes it look all curved.

It also gives a video that looks far faster than the bike is actually travelling.

Myself, I have a contour hd 1080, but you need a top spec computer to run the footage and really appreciate the benefits of hd.

I only bought the 1080 Contour so I could alter the settings on it.

YouTube - Muddy bath for Excman

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have the go pro HD and its awsome... You can set it to different resolutions, ive used it on the full 1080p which is so smooth and clear it truly is top quality. Ive also used it on the next setting down which i think is 980p or sumat like that, still realy good quality footage but its not as wide as if you have it on full HD but it covers a higher area, if you get me?

I can recomend it. I was impressed at how well it pics up the sound aswell and ofcourse you have the advantage of it beeing waterproof

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Have a looksy on the GoPro website and look at the sample videos. They've got loads. That way you can see if the wide-angle distortion will be an issue. To be honest I think the width of view adds a lot to the footage. It gives more peripheral context to the trail or road you are riding on. I'm going to get the GoPro HD Motorsport pack.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
I have the GoProWide. Not the HD version.
Good enough quality for what I want it for.....

Sound is crap cos I have it bolted to my handguard and it rattles about a bit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the picture 'vibrate' with it mounted to the bike? I have an Oregon Scientific ATC2k, which operates at 30 frames per sec, and you get this wave flowing through the picture. Think it might be the vibration as when I put it on my snowboard helmet it did not behave the same.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
The GoPro is difficult to tell if its on or off. The one that brompton uses now has a slide action switch so its really easy to feel if its on. It also has a pair of lazer beams that shine to check it is level. Good kit but ££££££££££££££££££

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
This is a couple from my GoPro HD. Was expensive, im glad i have it. Very impressed with it. This is at 720p not 1080p.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts