KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've been used to Honda engines, looking forward to getting it out when it's drier weather, seems very tidy for 10 years old, loads of history with it too.
Previously had a Firestorm and a TL1000R in the V twin range, most others have been inline 4's.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You need to get use to the throttle but if it's too snappy you can alter the twist grip cam to make the initial bit easier.
I modified mine on the SD but you can buy them if you're not tight like me.

Also a remap can help smooth out the low speed manners.
But it could fine already, I guess you'll find out..
Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had a SM 990 and absolutely loved it, no rider aids and away a hoot to ride. Wish I still had it now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking to add a top box if anyone knows of one for sale?
I have the KTM top box mount if anyone can advise if any of the top box from the range fits
Also thinking of a pair of end cans, do they unbolt as single units or are they a pair that have to have a collector etc?
Also after a sump guard/bellypan if anyone has one tucked away they no longer need?
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I put Leo Vinci cans on my SMT. They come with a new Y piece that joins the cans to the link pipes but the rest of the original system is retained. The cats are in the cans so no issue with using stock headers and link pipes. You will need a remap though. Whether you do with the Akra cans which were an accessory option, I don't know, but the Leos definitely needed mapping. Worth doing though. You can gain 5-10 bhp and more midrange and the throttle can be trimmed to just how you want it, soft from off to on or crisp and sharp.

Be aware the OE cans attach to the Y under the seat by means of studs and flange and those studs are notorious for rusting away - hence why the Leos come with their own Y which attach with clamps. Make sure you get all the fittings if buying used.

Straight-through cat-less after market cans will run a hell of a lot cooler than the stock catted ones. Worth replacing for that reason alone. No more heat shields and cooked luggage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking to add a top box if anyone knows of one for sale?
I have the KTM top box mount if anyone can advise if any of the top box from the range fits
Also thinking of a pair of end cans, do they unbolt as single units or are they a pair that have to have a collector etc?
Also after a sump guard/bellypan if anyone has one tucked away they no longer need?
Thanks for any advice
I've got a genuine KTM top box with keys

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it for sale or are you just bragging? 😁
Any piccies, how much, what size and is it a post job or are you anywhere near Warrington Cheshire?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got a genuine KTM top box with keys
Is it for sale or are you just bragging? 😁
Any piccies, how much, what size and is it a post job or are you anywhere near Warrington Cheshire?
I'm home next Thursday £100 I think there about 350 new I'm on the Wirral not far from you, if you give us your number I can WhatsApp some pics

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, nearly shit myself, decided to have a first short ride despite the weather and greasy roads, knocked it down from 3rd to 2nd to get ready to overtake a row of slow cars and the back end locked up and squirrelled away as I opened it up to get past, the car drivers must have thought 'knob' and I thought 'plonker, I should know better at my age' still laughed my cock off though :D
Time to clean it and put it away and look at the clutch oil jet cleaning suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts