KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to look at a 2005 yesterday, High-Flow Head, 21,000 miles, small Trader.
£2350

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Looked tidy enough in the photos, but up close was a bit scruffy in a lot of places.
Nothing major, just bits of flaky Paint, rusty fasteners, rust spots on the Frame, Rusty Exhaust, etc.
Engine showed evidence of an Oil weep, down the front, and underneath.
Plenty of service history, but I didn't want to have to tidy up a new (to me) Bike.

Went to see another today.
Bit out of my budget, but looked really clean in the photos.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

High-Flow Head again, 2005, but only 4300 miles.
Has the FCR Carb, plus the original BST.
I could tell straight away it has been looked after, mature owner, rides Moto Cross (KTM 500 2-Stroke), and knows his way round the Tools (he's also a Metal
Sculptor).

Couple of very minor marks.
Carbon side Panels, plus the originals.

He wanted £3300, I got it for £3100.
:wings

I'll be along shortly with a few questions no doubt . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I've got it home now.
Felt really odd (obviously) after the FireBlade, but after the 30 mile ride home, I'm already starting to feel 'at home' on it.

Has a 38 Tooth rear Sprocket, sits comfortably at just over 4500rpm, at 70mph.
Bit vibey, but was expecting that, doesn't like to go much below 3000rpm in any gear except first, I'm guessing that's normal, particularly with the FCR Carb?
I'll try some Bar-End Weights, and/or some Lead Shot in the Bars.

Got a good pile of parts with it;
The BST Carb
Both Rad Panels
Both Airbox Panels
Airbox Lid
2 Mirrors
Reg Plate
Brake and Clutch Levers
Handguards
Complete set of original Indicators

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I remember buying a duke after 14 years without a bike , a week later I bought a 950sm and it was heaven compared to that jack hammer :LOL::LOL:

·
Administrator
10,458 Posts
Welcome Doc, I hope you enjoy the new bike, and banter. Be ready for the banter.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a few more miles on it now.

I definitely think it's running too rich.
I can turn off the 'Choke' very soon after starting (1-3°C here), and it feels like Bikes do if you run with the Choke on too long, has a sort of 'fluffy/wooly' feeling.
The fact I only got 60 miles from 10 litres of Fuel also points to it being overly rich, surely?

I tried pulling the Choke Lever while riding, after it was fully warmed up, and while it was doing it's 'fluffy' thing, made it worse.
Can outlets look a little sooty too, I'll pull the Plug soon and see what that looks like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts