KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The cheapest way is a pda running windows mobile with memory map installed , i have been using it for years and found it perfect for the lanes

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If you have been on the lanes before then a basic Garmin will be enough. Fortrex 201 or the Etrex H, they are cheep off ebay. I know plenty that use them. You create a route on your PC and send it to the GPS. It then shows a line that you follow on the screen. Only problem is if you need to make a diversion they are useless so you need a backup (map or windows mobile phone with MM installed) I use the Etrex H and have a PDA as a backup in my pocket. It works fine for me as I have done most of the lanes before and only need a memory jog as to where they are.

If you want a full mapping GPS then the Road Angel 7000 is cheep off ebay for about £60. You do need the software but that can be found on the internet. Some users of these have said they dont survive a off very well. My Etrex H has seen some cracking offs (as some who have been out with me can tell you) and is still in great shape.

Garmin do other Mapping GPS devices but are expensive and I haven't used any to comment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had a Road angel and used it extensively off road. It does the job of showing the lanes brilliantly but mine will not charge now for some reason.

I have since bought a Memory Map Adventure 2800 which is nice and small and seems pretty rugged so far although I have had to send one back with a software fault but the replaced it no probs. Battery life is a bit on the low side that is what you get with full colour screen. They have just bought out an extra battery which should sort this issue.

Personally I find the devices that can have memory map on them the best as it gives full ordance survey maps which allow you to change your route at the drop of a hat. The ease of planning the routes on the GPS is also great.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What's best?

Without a doubt, the top-of-the-range Garmin Oregon loaded with road-routable 1:50k OS maps.

What's cheapest? A paper map.

Greg

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
if you have the cash to splash get a garmin. one of the newer ones running Memory Map. all the info you ever need. tough & waterproof unlike a PDA.

i use an older garmin gpsmap60csx with topo mapping and load MM routes via pc.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Have any of you chaps seen this : Satmap: Way Ahead - The Ultimate GPS

There are 2 kinds of devices - routable map GPS's (like most of the Garmins). I dont think theyre that useful for green laning personally.
The other kind is more of a digital map. The Garmin Oregon above - I hadnt seen that before - looks quite similar to the Satmap.
The distinction is that one kind of device have highly detailed (ordinance survey-type) maps - which you can see your position & plot/follow a route on, etc.
The other is the auto-route kind of maps (which will calculate a route for you through a least-cost path to get to a destination). These maps are typically road/path-oriented. Not much detail.

One of the aspects of the Satmap that sounds interesting is the online sharing of routes. What IS interesting is that the SatMap guys are apparently teaming up with TRF to provide a library of legal trails in the UK. Would be a handy way of knowing for sure whether a given track/trail is or isnt a legal boat.

Just chatting to a mate of mine, apparently they have a deal going through Trail Bike Magazine....

·
Registered
139 Posts
According to Garmin, it's 16 hours (doesn't say what screen setting).

I use a mini-USB power lead run off the bike. The unit is also UPX7 waterproof.

Aftermarket suppliers will supply rastor maps for other countries. Here's a shot of my unit showing the south of Spain - the red line is a tracklog from a previous ride

1 - 13 of 13 Posts