KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys lookup greenlanes for your area.
I've not really been green laning before, so bought an Ordnance Survey for the area, which shows them all, but when you get there, they're usually not great, and I got hassled on a couple of them.
Would be handy to have a resource that has recommended routes in the area

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
OS maps will only be any good as a starter as they will always be out of date and leave you open to all sorts of aggravation.
The best way will be to go to the ROW section of the relevant county council and use their mapping system. That then needs cross referring to any temporary TROs.

The TRF is supposed to be doing a comprehensive mapping system that should always be up to date but it is still only only in the testing stage.

Joining your local TRF group is ideal and joining up with local rides now we can have up to 6 together, which is a good maximum guide anyway.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't even know about TRF, so that's something. Looks like there's a TRF group not too far from me too. Brilliant, thanks Dave :D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I use the link below, you can zoom in on your area and find the lanes near you. The map seems to have 'f'd' up a bit though, if you click on any of the blue squares it now takes you to another link...

·
Administrator
8,496 Posts
TRF is the easiest option to get started. Membership is only about £50 a year and they always have organised ride outs

Reactions: Set

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks as sad state of affairs going off that map. Ordnance shows a lot more BOAT's than that.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
No, definitely thankful. There's quite a long one on there just a few miles from me. I'm just surprised there's not a lot more.

I was only pulling your leg! I'm sure that the map is not up to date and also you need to check that any that are shown on the map have not had a TRO slapped on them. (I think they are called that, Traffic Restriction Order). The map is better than nothing I suppose!

·
Registered
698 Posts
The only way I found that works is; Have the OS map, get a helper in the car who can navigate and drive around to the start and finish of each byway and see with your own eyes what signs are being displayed. Mark the maps showing what can actually be used and then use a sat nav system, where you can mark a route and shows byways (such as BaseCamp for the Montana 600).

Unfortunately this information is only as good as they day that you see it, as time goes by, Byways will be downgraded and we will lose the use of them.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only way I found that works is; Have the OS map, get a helper in the car who can navigate and drive around to the start and finish of each byway and see with your own eyes what signs are being displayed. Mark the maps showing what can actually be used and then use a sat nav system, where you can mark a route and shows byways (such as BaseCamp for the Montana 600).

Unfortunately this information is only as good as they day that you see it, as time goes by, Byways will be downgraded and we will lose the use of them.
What if it;s a BOAT and no notices or signs, is it still a BOAT?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Joined local TRF but found runs are few and far between and heavily subscribed, the first available run since I joined about 9 months ago is August, might be worth checking with the local TRF as to how often they do beginner runs and the typical availability.

I have not received any info on where I can ride from the TRF either, I was expecting each region to have some information available on where to ride locally, but this does not seem to be the case.

Viewranger App is fairly good as for @£25 you can add OS maps and look around your area, and it does have navigation, but this is pretty shit as it is just a top down map with a little circle where you are and your route "Highlighted" (barely visible) so very difficult to follow it with phone mounted on bars, but you can stop and check then ride off again more easily than getting a map out.

Another useful feature of Viewranger is it can record a route, so if someone takes you out you can then go back along the same route yourself. I am actually thinking of mounting a Garmin on the Enduro as the Viewranger routes can be exported to the Garmin, if you use it as a track rather than a route it should work OK and be much easier to see / follow, but not tested this yet.

The Green Lane Association do have maps showing routes / lanes along with comments from members who have driven them (more car folk than bikes) and it is pretty good, I let my membership lapse when I joined TRF and got Viewranger, but they might be a better bet if you want to easily browse for lanes as it highlights them on a UK map, by far the easiest way to find lanes.

My best results came via mates of mates and I have been out a few times with a small group not too far away, and later this week another friend of a friend is taking me out somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read somewhere a long while ago on a Land Rover forum that the massive crackdown on BOAT's was down to the Red sock brigade. They have such a powerful lobby, that something like 96% of all BOATs had been closed down to mechanical traffic thanks to their pressure. I can't provide any proof for that though.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yeah I read that somewhere, only 4% of 'unmade' roads are open to traffic, the 'bobble hats' want to take that last 4% off us which really pisses me off. It is worth knowing the law to a degree when you go green laning that way if you come across a bobble hat that starts to quote 'his law' you can put them straight on the matter. I had one stating that the byway that I was on was classed as a 'track', no lanes are defined as a track he just made the word up, it had a byway sign at either end of his 'track' He was standing in the wheel ruts made by the 4x4's as he said it.....Knob head!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I read that somewhere, only 4% of 'unmade' roads are open to traffic, the 'bobble hats' want to take that last 4% off us which really pisses me off. It is worth knowing the law to a degree when you go green laning that way if you come across a bobble hat that starts to quote 'his law' you can put them straight on the matter. I had one stating that the byway that I was on was classed as a 'track', no lanes are defined as a track he just made the word up, it had a byway sign at either end of his 'track' He was standing in the wheel ruts made by the 4x4's as he said it.....Knob head!
Ironically, between 4x4, motorbike users, and possible mountain bike users, the numbers are probably even. It's just that the red socks are more organised, and the off roaders are splintered.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ironically, between 4x4, motorbike users, and possible mountain bike users, the numbers are probably even. It's just that the red socks are more organised, and the off roaders are splintered.
Might not be as many red socks around after this virus!
Just saying!

I joined the trf, 4 years ago, got a Montana and view ranger, still can’t use them??. Some good guides out there leading rides so I just follow them. For £55 a year can’t argue, and they fight to keep lanes open for all us bikers, every off roader should join up cause we all benefit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I'm going to join. Show some solidarity at least. There's be no BOAT's left in 20 yrs at this rate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Most in there 50,60’s can remember when there were loads of lanes open and are sad that so many are now closed to bikes!
Trf need young blood to keep the fight going or the lanes will be history in 10yrs or so at this rate !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
No point trying to communicate with a bobble hat Pete. They wont agree with you even if they are obviously wrong. I showed one of them an os map with a boat marked on only to be accused of marking it up on the map. I advised him that l didnt worked at the os, so that was an impossibility ..... he didnt get the humour.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts