KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think it's really difficult for GPS manufacturers to stay relevant given the power of the modern smartphone and the free shit you can run on it.
If their latest kit doesn't do absolutely everything then no one is going to buy it. That also means that the model you end up buying is far more capable than you need it to be and brimming with features which are a pain in the arse

·
Administrator
10,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is the average iPhone or Samsung Galaxy is not far off £1000. Its alot of money sitting on your handle bars waiting to get smashed up.

I have been using the ultimate addons case with my phone but the mounting system just doesn't seem strong enough.

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I juts bung a normal Garmin on the bike, I load the tracks I want to ride on them and then just select the "Show on screen" option - and then just follow the line.

I have outdoor atcive on phone but its shit as it does not scroll as you ride along, so you have to stop every 100 metres and move the map on the screen with your hand, but it is very good for recording your route to use again....

...However I can also do that on the garmin so if I go out with someone else I tend to record it on both deivces (Phone and Sat-Nav)

Outdoor active seems good for route planning, but you have to pay extra to get the OS map overlays that show byways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am subscribed to OS maps app, its brilliant, zoomable mapping all the way to 1:25000
Route planning is easy and it tracks as you move.
Mapping sections can be downloaded so no need for signal.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
You can buy refurbished iphones / androids that are as good as new for a fraction of the price but don’t go too old as Apple do restrict access to the latest ios as phones get obsolete but even my old 5 that I use on trail rides still gets ios15.
As said, a data only sims are cheap enough - I got a two year 8Gb one for the car traffic info for about £45 but you could probably get a contract for peanuts if you use it a lot.
I am still firmly a map person though - do your research and driving/riding blind can be great fun. I only really use nav for the last mile or so of any journey.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Last year I switched over to using a rugged Android phone on all of my bikes (on & offroad) as the main sat nav. I have a Blackview 6900 which cost me about £75 (used) delivered.

OsmAnd is great for on road and can be used when trail riding. Alpine Quest reportedly works well too and can handle the OS mapping from Memory Map without conversion.
I've got a 1:50k OS map a friend converted to work with OsmAnd so I'm gonna try that but might end up just buying Alpine Quest so I can reuse all of my Memory Map OS maps.

I also have a Garmin Montana 650 but that is just for touring only as I don't want to beat it to death offroad.

As for online mapping - don't rely on it. Once you're deep in the sticks you likely won't get a data signal so you'll have no maps (unless you can pre-download them first).

·
Administrator
10,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I juts bung a normal Garmin on the bike, I load the tracks I want to ride on them and then just select the "Show on screen" option - and then just follow the line.

I have outdoor atcive on phone but its shit as it does not scroll as you ride along, so you have to stop every 100 metres and move the map on the screen with your hand, but it is very good for recording your route to use again....

...However I can also do that on the garmin so if I go out with someone else I tend to record it on both deivces (Phone and Sat-Nav)

Outdoor active seems good for route planning, but you have to pay extra to get the OS map overlays that show byways.
Surely the scroll function is just a setting?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Surely the scroll function is just a setting?
Yes just a setting..follow gps and rotate map..I love the cheap phone and app... phone is bashproof waterproof and 10,000 ma battery so lasts forever on Fullscreen...most of my lot have jumped ship from Garmin which is silly money and seems to have a lot of glitches and technical issues...plus with a sim you can use Google maps and phone people

1 - 20 of 44 Posts