KTM Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes just a setting..follow gps and rotate map..I love the cheap phone and app... phone is bashproof waterproof and 10,000 ma battery so lasts forever on Fullscreen...most of my lot have jumped ship from Garmin which is silly money and seems to have a lot of glitches and technical issues...plus with a sim you can use Google maps and phone people
Yes, you're right. I've downloaded it and was just checking. I have used View Ranger before but thought it was shit, this seems like an improvement. I've also just got hold of a Motorola phone from the office, it's just a test/demo phone but only costs us £150 so cheap really. Ultimate addons do a universal case which will work for £35. I think I'll give this a go and see how I get on.

Telephony Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Mobile phone

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a Garmin Montana 610 with OS 1:25 and 1:50 loaded onto it, together with Garmin’s City Nav road maps of Europe
The 32Gb SD covers this and all some European Topo off-road too
Covers all bases and can be used for walking/MTB and on the road bike & Van for road navigation
Bought it new last year in Black’s clearance for £300 with free OS mapping card included
Rugged enough for off-road
If I was buying again it would be a Montana 700i as it’s replacement

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Garmin Extrex 32x or 35x with preloaded Topo active Europe map.
GPS holder from Paul Bolton https://www.dirtbikespec.com/super-light-j-mount?search=gps
I was going to say DO NOT get these. I have one and it's shite. It's ok for races that provide a track to follow but for real navigation it's utter crap.

In any case, I figured there's no way BDA is going to buy a cheap model so would prob go for a Garmin Montana or something.

·
Administrator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was going to say DO NOT get these. I have one and it's shite. It's ok for races that provide a track to follow but for real navigation it's utter crap.

In any case, I figured there's no way BDA is going to buy a cheap model so would prob go for a Garmin Montana or something.
:ROFLMAO:, going to try Outdoor Active I think first. If that doesn't work it will probably be the Montana 700.

Another consideration is I want to do an overseas rally (or Raid) next year, possibly Hellas. If I do the full rally then it will be road book navigation, but if I do Hellas Adventure class then it's GPS. I've never done a 6 or 7 day event before so I might make it a bit easier on myself and go with the GPS class which means the 700 would make more sense, but if it's just for Green Lanes then it's overkill.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
I bought the OS maps for the whole UK for Viewranger and OutdoorActive have just transferred everything over. Was about £200 and I doubt it will be updated but good enough for our needs.
I use it for tracking our walks plus it’s GPS so it will tell you are if you are lost.
When we look for holiday cottages to book we can see what public footpaths are in the area as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have outdoor atcive on phone but its shit as it does not scroll as you ride along, so you have to stop every 100 metres and move the map on the screen with your hand, but it is very good for recording your route to use again....

Outdoor active seems good for route planning, but you have to pay extra to get the OS map overlays that show byways.
Outdooractive should scroll. You need to hit the Location button to toggle between scroll/no scroll. Having said that, the OS maps app scrolls on my Android, but not on my iPhone. Similar system and the location button changes colour to indicate which is selected, but the fucker won't scroll.

Anyway, to the original poster's question. I use Outdooractive with OS sub to plan at home on a mac. then i load the gpx to a cheap Ulephone rugged phone and follow it on OSMand app which can be configured for pretty much anything you can think of except OS maps, but their Openstreetmap is really good and less cluttered.

A garmin does have some advantages - They are easy to power on the bike. My phone generally lasts all day, but when it does need charging, it cannot be done if there's a hint of damp, it shuts down charging. You need wireless charging on a phone really, which bumps up the cost considerably.
Garmin work with gloves. My phone says it does, but it doesn't.

Garmin hardware is good solid kit, albeit with slow wanky processors, but their software has always been dire. They cost way too much IMO.

·
Administrator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
On my normal phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S22 everything works ok. On the cheaper Motorola G50 I have realised that it doesn't have a built Magnometer (compass) so so many of the navigation features of Active Outdoor won't work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got a Garmin Zumo XT and it's taken me down some very skinny green lanes when I've been in an appropriate area and set it to 'use twisty road' settings.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Definitely GPS for laning, and preferably with 1:25K OS mapping. I use a Satmap Active 20 with 1:10K, 1:25K and 1:50K OS maps for the entire UK loaded on it. Very rugged, Gorilla glass touch screen, and a lot brighter and nicer to use screen than the Montana, (of which I nearly bought one, as the old Satmap Active 10 screen was shit) It lasts 16 hours with the screen on full brightness, GPS use absolutely spanks phone batteries, especially older ones.
I would never use my main phone to navigate, as if it flies off, gets smashed or wet, you have lost all your navigation, phone, texts, and backup navigation in one hit. Keep your phone in your rucksack, and a GPS on the bars!

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Use a map! GPS has no place in trail riding for me. Navigation is a craft. A skill that needs to be developed. Following a gps means you have no idea where you actually are other than the relationship with a screen. Proper navigation is much more rewarding.

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
What is the difference with OS maps and Topo maps? Topo seem cheaper and included with many devices and are based on the OS maps?
I dont know specifically, but topo is short for topography, as in landscape features such as level changes etc - so the level of detail / manmade features will be less than your normal series o/s base mapping, hence the lower cost. More of use for land surveys etc.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Use a map! GPS has no place in trail riding for me. Navigation is a craft. A skill that needs to be developed. Following a gps means you have no idea where you actually are other than the relationship with a screen. Proper navigation is much more rewarding.
🤣😂🤣 And we all ride Yamaha Serrows and wear Welly boots too.

That's why using a GPS with OS mapping is perfect. You can see where you are, you can change route and navigate around issues etc. And there's no question of where you are at any time.

Complete opposite of the etrek series which is just like you described and completely useless for anything other than following a predefined track.

I use the etrek to show the way but anytime I need to actually navigate then I use my phone with OS mapping.

Whatever you use, whether it's a paper map or a £1000 GPS, make sure you can use it. My group got separated yesterday and once we got in contact by phone, the group leader couldn't tell me where he was as he didn't even know how to set a way point!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I dont know specifically, but topo is short for topography, as in landscape features such as level changes etc - so the level of detail / manmade features will be less than your normal series o/s base mapping, hence the lower cost. More of use for land surveys etc.
Yup.. I have some older Garmin topo maps and they are just the basic maps (like city navigator) but with contour lines added. There are some other land details added but not like OS maps.

If you are use to OS maps then "Topo" will look shit in comparison.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll probably be selling my wifi enabled Garmin Monterra with OS Maps, 2 powered mounts, push bike mount and other extras in a few days if any use to anyone here - keep an eye on the for sale section.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Administrator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
🤣 I thought i was going mad I saw it and thought ill read that later and then couldn't find it anywhere on the forum. It didn't register that it was a text!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts