KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any bright ideas on whats going on here..

Thursday morning the 'efi' light came on briefly.I stopped,turned off the ignition and restarted.No 'efi' light.ran just as sweet as normal so ignored it. Then thursday evening it was racing at idle at 3500 rpm,even at the end of my journey home.

Ive run the 15 min reset as per other threads,but the bike now just revs from 2000 to 4000rpm as if someone is blipping the throttle constantly.Its unrideable so unless there's an easy fix ill have to get the dealer to come pick her up.

Its a 2008 registered in March at Premier bikes,now with 2000miles on.

Any ideas all welcome....Unless its really technical cause Im a bit of a spanner with a spanner. Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sounds like a connector somewhere has got corroded or become loose, the RC8 has a few relevant on the right side of the air box (under the tank) and under the front of the air box, and some in the nose of the bike, I would guess and say thats the cause, but I may be wrong...bit of a guess to be honest!.. :)

Defo a job for your dealer if your not into spanners and electrics....

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
have you messed about with the throttle adjustment, it did the same when i messed with mine ages ago, just wanted all the slack out of the cable, but must of gone too far, slackened it off a bit and it was fine. the throttle position sensor went haywire. or it could be something as simple as water. have you jet washed it recently/

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi,

I had a fault exactly the same as you've described on my old Aprilia RSV Mille. I thought at first that it was the PCIII that was fitted but it turned out to be the sidestand switch.

Try flicking the sidestand up and down a few times and maybe spray some WD40 on it to see if it helps.

Can't say for sure that's your problem but give it a go it will take couple of minutes to try. Hope it helps.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions chaps

I dont use a jet wash or even a hose but i had just washed it the evening before....
Ive wd40'd the connector blocks under the right side of the tank and the sidestand switch,still playing up

I rang Premier bikes at 0830 this morning and by 1030 it had been picked up in a van and taken off to be looked at. Impressed with the service from Premier (i'd heard mixed reports but credit where its due) so far.My gut reaction is Ive got water in a connector somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still not fixed...

Premier are clearly a bit stumped,they've had it a week and although the 'ghost blipping the throttle' has gone,its back to racing on idle.

"everything points to the cdi.It may have to go to KTM uk".

Is replacing the cdi a big job for a dealer?

Im officially " a bit miffed". If this drags on I may become "mildly irritated". ......and now the sun is out!
I want my bike back!
Ive got a brand new KTM helmet to try and no bike to try it on!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
wot do you mean, it may have to go to ktm uk, is there such a place?, i mean in way of a workshop. cdi is just a box swop, then plug it in to the computer and feed it up i would have thought. ask for a bike while yours is away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts