KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was my cousins, 1998 model in blue with dyno jets and a MIG Can ??? It's the first time I have ever ridden anything quite like it. It scared the shit out of me to be honest and only re-affirmed that I will never buy a large jap sports bike ! ! !

Okay, I'm a novice but it just seemed out of control and the riding position is PUKE, how can anyone enjoy that !!! Insane power though . . .

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It was my cousins, 1998 model in blue with dyno jets and a MIG Can ??? It's the first time I have ever ridden anything quite like it. It scared the shit out of me to be honest and only re-affirmed that I will never buy a large jap sports bike ! ! !

Okay, I'm a novice but it just seemed out of control and the riding position is PUKE, how can anyone enjoy that !!! Insane power though . . .
agree, if thats the first lt4 you have ridden then it probably will put you off em. let me tell you they are not all like the 98 r1. them things are the madest, badest thing out of production IMO

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It was actually a Kwak ZX, but the theory holds. I got used to it after 3 months but kept it for about 3 years IIRC. Why did I move to the 990Adv? Well always fancied one, and when I was riding around Norway one year there were a bunch of roads I couldn't do as they were gravel. That made my mind up and when I got back I had the 990 within about 4 months.

Power corrupts, and litre jap bikes corrupt absolutely :)

cheers

Markie

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

im riding an 04 R1 now.
when i first rode it the riding position felt terrible. really track orientated. high pegs, low bars. but after a few rides it felt ok.
now it feels really comfy. you just get used to it. doesn't help when you are used to being so upright on an SM.
although mine has about 30bhp more than the original it makes it in a more useable way. the original ones have a reputation as evil bastards!
you do get used to the power though (well almost!). but is a handful if you nail it in the first few gears!

love it. although id like to try a litre twin to see the difference between them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I must agree with xfireblade. Had a 98 R1 for about three years. Since then had a couple or RSV's, zx636, Benelli Tornado, CBR1000 blade, and now an RC8, as well as having a go on various other bikes. Even now the R1 brings back memories of bonkers power. No doubt it had less power than my blade 1000, but NOTHING i have ever ridden felt so aggresive and raw with it's power. It is the bike that taught me how to open a throttle progressively and respect big power. It is one of those bikes that you absolutely MUST ride once in your life, truly incredible. One thing I vividly do remember is that within a couple of months of having it I just had to splash out on a Ohlins damper, essential for survival!

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im riding an 04 R1 now.
when i first rode it the riding position felt terrible. really track orientated. high pegs, low bars. but after a few rides it felt ok.
now it feels really comfy. you just get used to it. doesn't help when you are used to being so upright on an SM.
although mine has about 30bhp more than the original it makes it in a more useable way. the original ones have a reputation as evil bastards!
you do get used to the power though (well almost!). but is a handful if you nail it in the first few gears!

love it. although id like to try a litre twin to see the difference between them.
I got off it and back onto the Tuono, it felt a million miles better, the litre twin is the perfect blend between a torquey big single and a jap ltr4 IMO . . .

·
Registered
340 Posts
i have the 2000 model, scares the fook out of me every time i take it out and ive had it from new! never once have i got used to the power, think the main reason the 98 seemed so vicious was the 1st gear, ive rode one and didnt notice a big difference but have to say compaired to the newer bike they are still a real handfull to ride thats why i still have mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts